Transmission question 1939 Plymouth

thebelvedereman

Hey guys, I've seen a few earlier 39 Plymouths that have a floor shifter, and the later ones like the one I'm buying have a column shifter, my question is the transmission a selector trans like the early plymouths that I've had so far 46 through 51, I'm asking because I would like to put a floor shifter in it, and also does anyone have a stock floor shifter from an early 39 Plymouth, and will that floor shifter work with the later 39 transmission , thanks guys always a big help

The top plate on the trans for column shifter on a 39 has a button that is cable activated when you change shifting gates on the shift lever. The button moves a lever over in the top plate that selects either the 1st and reverse gate or the 2nd and 3rd. you can change this transmission to a floor shift simply by swapping top plates from a floor shift transmission. 

I have a top plate and shifter for a floor shift that will fit on a 39 trans. 

7A912FCB-2868-4ABE-8814-44A40F439A00.jpeg

Edited by Lloyd

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

FYI for 39s it's not an early and late thing. The cheaper Roadking model was floor shift and the Deluxe had the new for 39 column shift. 

Didn't know that, thanks Ed. 

Sent you a PM belvedere.

I ran into a similar situation with my 39 Deluxe. However, my shifter cable was worn off enough that I couldn't get enough adjustment on the cable to make it shift to 1st & reverse. I couldn't find a new cable. They only made that system in 1939 for the Deluxe only and went to a double shifter arm in 1940.

You'll also need to get the gearshift rails for the top shifter. The rails that are currently in your tranny are designed for the cable system and won't work with the top shifter. So, you'll need the floor shifter plate with floor shifter and the rails. Should be easy to find, since they used the same rails for several years in the floor shifter transmissions.

I have a spare floor shifter and plate that I'll sell for $50.00 plus shipping. I don't have the rails.

Edited by Dennis Detweiler

Cool, thanks for that info I guess I'll have to look for the rails too,  the only reason I want to convert it to a floor shifter is because I have a very cool shifter handle that my grandfather (who was a machinist) made for me for my very first car it's solid brass and has the later years Mopar pentastar fender emblem mounted in the top of it, and I would love to have it on this car, it's been on many many of my classic Mopars already

4 hours ago, thebelvedereman said:

Cool, thanks for that info I guess I'll have to look for the rails too,  the only reason I want to convert it to a floor shifter is because I have a very cool shifter handle that my grandfather (who was a machinist) made for me for my very first car it's solid brass and has the later years Mopar pentastar fender emblem mounted in the top of it, and I would love to have it on this car, it's been on many many of my classic Mopars already

why not just adapt that to be the knob on the column shift? Lots of guys out there using odd things like pool balls on the column shifter

• 4 years later...

The 1939 3 on the tree trans was also the stnadrd trans for the Dodge, Desoto and Chryslers.  The overdrive was an extra unit that bolted upto the end or the tail of the trans.  I have a borg warner trans catalog and I can get the rail numbers for the top loader. I have seen these top rail listed on Ebay several months ago.

If my memory is correct I also think Moparpro is making the cable and housing that is used specifically on the 39 cable shifting trans.  These are not cheap but if yours is worn out then you can get a replacement cable.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com