Saw a neat engine at the Charlotte swap meet.

Flatie46

Walking around at the Auto Fair I saw a familiar site. Saw this Plymouth flat 6 on an engine stand. And met the owner/ builder/ fabricator of it. His name was Sid Killough, had a nice conversation with him. He fired the engine quickly with a flick of the switch. It sounded really nice and had the V8 style cammed sound most everyone loves. When he cranked it I noticed how people that seemed as if they might have walked on by an inline 6 engine were drawn in by the sound to see if the sound was really comming from that engine.  I told Sid about the forum and that I may post a pic. I hope he will comment on the engine. He told me some specs on it but I'm not positive on what he told me so I'm afraid to post them. Great guy, I hope he might join the forum.

0406181518-1.jpg

• Like 2

Walking around at the Auto Fair I saw a familiar site. Saw this Plymouth flat 6 on an engine stand. And met the owner/ builder/ fabricator of it. His name was Sid Killough, had a nice conversation with him. He fired the engine quickly with a flick of the switch. It sounded really nice and had the V8 style cammed sound most everyone loves. When he cranked it I noticed how people that seemed as if they might have walked on by an inline 6 engine were drawn in by the sound to see if the sound was really comming from that engine.  I told Sid about the forum and that I may post a pic. I hope he will comment on the engine. He told me some specs on it but I'm not positive on what he told me so I'm afraid to post them. Great guy, I hope he might join the forum.

• Like 1

Sid made the intake and breathers and some other pieces on the engine. It ran flawlessly with no hesitation, no rich smell, very responsive.  I said I would love to have it. He said it wasn't for sale as it was for his current project but he might build one for someone.

• Like 1

Interesting!  Nice to see it up close and speak with the man .

Edited by T120
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, martybose said:

I'm more intrigued by the accessory drive; it must have been some interesting work to adapt those pulleys!

Marty

I'm not sure if he adapted them or made them.

16 minutes ago, T120 said:

Interesting!  Nice to see it up close and speak with the man .

Yes it was. I enjoyed our conversation, we talked about everything from Plymouths to raising kids.  Great guy!

• Like 1

Now thats a neat flathead..........he obviously has easy access to a lathe & mill.............impressed........andyd

• Like 1

I would say from the looks of those air filters he's more than capable of making pulley.  Intriguing hope he comes on board and gives us some in site into the engine.

There were some European parts in the NOS that I saw.  Some of it was aluminum body panels. Not sure what all that went to, neither did the seller. I thought that one fender was a 40 Plymouth. He said he didn't know. Said he would take $300 for it. Might could have bargained for less but I don't own a 40 Plymouth.

I just noticed that the engine pictured at the start of this thread has 2 block-off plates on the side of the block......the front one is where the mechanical fuel pump goes but the rear block off plate has me wondering.....whats it for?...........andyd  

I saw some other things of interest there for most mopar guys but I didn't get pics. There was a guy that had brought quite a bit of a 39 Plymouth there. Had a complete front clip, rear fenders, trans, pedal assembly's, chrome etc. It was late in the evening when I walked by his spot. He had covered everything up with tarps, the wind had blew the tarp back and this was just what I saw. I would have like to talked to the guy but I never did make it back to that section. I really didn't have a need for any 39 stuff anyway. I didn't buy much for my Plymouth there. I bought some very old new in the box Wagner wheel cylinder rebuild kits for 2bucks a piece. The cute little can they come in was almost worth that to me. Lol and bought some intake/exhaust gasket sets. I didn't really need them but at 5 bucks a piece I added them to spares. I have other projects such as my 70 Chevy truck, I scored some good parts for it. My son has been building an old school style small block Chevy engine, he found a tunnel ram and some vintage valve covers. Love to see him interested in old cars. ( raised that boy right! Lol) saw an vintage dual carb intake for a mopar flat 6 but it was pretty expensive, had $375 on it. It may have been a good deal I just wasn't really looking for something like that.

Edited by Flatie46
Smart phone doesn't know mopar from molar
  • Like 1