239 V6 flathead. 1946 pontiac

MobCars306

Im very new to engines and such, I'm more of an autobody guy, but i took on a project and want to know how I can upgrade the engine to give it more horsepower and just overall make it more impressive. I got the engine running after about 20 years of sitting and it idles, I think I need a carb kit for it tho, possibly a new fuel pump. Not sure where to even start looking. I came across a video on YouTube and read about this website in the comments. 

I'm looking to do something like this. Don't really know what parts I need but if anyone can help steer me in the right direction. 

As for what I still need for the car, is an ignition switch some fuel line fittings, thinking of converting it to 12v. Since there's no wiring in the vehicle at the moment but might stick with 6v. And then i get to start on the body work. 

You are confusing me.  It's easy to do.   Is it a Pontiac?  This is a Mopar site.  Is it a V6 or a straight 6?  From Google it's a straight 6 Pontiac.   Go here http://forums.aaca.org/topic/267599-pontiac-239-6-high-performance-build/ 

Edited by casper50
  • Like 1

Your Pontiac would originally have a straight 6  239 engine. The Motor's manuals covering that year can be a very good reference for engine work. Nice to see some of these cars being driven and engines equipped with vintage speed equipment. Ford and Chev parts will be found more readily, expect to pay a little more for your car. :)

Edited by T120

Yes it’s a 239 engine from a 1946 Pontiac. I’m not really all that mechanical inclined. I’m kinda just after finding a shopping list of whatever I need to install into it. I found a little more information that these engines are mainly torque and nothing really for horsepower. Although I still do like the idea of it having something a little extra on the engine. Even if it only ads 20hp. I mean these engines are just cool af.

Cool to look at for some of us... 'though it won't win any drag races.;)

Edited by T120

Mob..........back in the day,  ie, 40's & early 50's there was speed equipment made for the Pocho 6 such as a finned head & twin carb intake but both would be VERY RARE now & $$$$$$$$$$$.........easier to just have the cast iron head milled to raise the compression............if its been sitting for 20yrs then check if whats there is usable then a carby kit, plugs, points, plug leads, fuel pump kit, would be the basic start tho' I'd forget about hopping up the engine till it actually runs as a stocker...........normally I'd say Welcome to the best Mopar forum but in this case as its a Pontiac............I'll still say WELCOME.......lol...........maybe we can convert you...........lol.............gidday mate from Oz...............andyd

• Like 1

The basic parts, for example ,WA1 carbys and tune up parts aren't too expensive , I have a couple of the carburetors on the shelf ...the other stuff is sort of window dressing nowadays and can be pricy as Andy says.

Edited by T120

Check out manifolds by moose.  He hand builds split intakes and exhausts for flat head molars but with the correct measurements might be able to build something for a Pontiac.  Like all these old motors a bit more compression through milling the head is not expensive and will perk them up quite a bit.