Best to rebuild a low mileage engine or look for a replacement that runs

Rjpond

On my 55 dodge c-series truck project, the engine is over at my neighbor’s pole barn because he’s a much better mechanic than me. It is the original v-8 (259)  that hasn’t ran since the early 1970’s (60,000miles). The engine is stuck (soaked clylinders in diesel fuel for 2 months) and he ended up pulling the head. He is reluctant to go much farther until he finds a source for pistons, rings, and bearings. He checked NAPA and also checked online a little and he was surprised to not find a ready source for engine parts. 

Do obtainable basic rebuild parts exsist for these trucks? My other option is a replacement engine. I do know where I could buy a v-8 out of a 1956 dodge pickup.  This engine has a lot of miles on it but the owner guarantees it to run. 

Does your '55 have a separate valley cover?

They were only available for two years afaik.

It was also available in Plymouth cars in 55 and 56.

If serious about building an engine (especially a very limited production one)

There's one guy with all your answers....and all of the parts as well.

Gary Pavlovich

glpavlovich@cox.net

Theres where you will find all of the answers you need.

Good luck...I hope you decide to do it :^)

Thanks for the person to contact. I will send him an email. 

I guess I have three options

1. Rebuild the v-8 motor I have, I only wish I knew the ball part price of parts

2. Replace with another v-8 for $200-$300 and not being sure of what I bought condition wise

3. Replace with a flat head six which I’m thinking has replacement parks available ?

I think pistons and crank/rod bearings from a 270 will work. Needs a 0.0625 overbore. Measure measure measure to make sure before laying down your cash. There are some vendors of early hemi parts that may be able to supply some parts that interchange like bearings, maybe oil and water pumps. Might be worthwhile  to check with them. Expect parts to be expensive. 

Edited by cavisco1
Add more information.