The Few, The Proud.........

Frank Elder

I pulled up at Napa today to get my swill and bs with the other car guys, and met my new hero purely by accident. He was sitting in the corner looking over some publications while waiting his turn at the counter. A bright eyed and sharp specimen of 90 plus.....when he saw my Navy cover he piped up and said Are you a F@#$%^g Squid or did you steal that F!@#$%g hat ? I said I am a F!@#$%^g Squid whats it to you you miserable puke........he laughed and introduced himself.

He said his name was Eddie but his friends call him Steady Eddie or just Steady. He talked about his days in Uncle Sam's Misguided Children and how much civilians suck....I agreed and told him about my Navy days....it was a good time. I could see his ball cap was red and gold but it was a plain hat and had nothing special written on it other than USMC.

Eddie turned 16 the month after he landed on Iwo Jima and was 40 when he left Viet Nam........

This should have been what he should have been wearing.

m7u61q-b78984463z.120120727131826000gvr1

He was only in Omaha for several days and I got to met a real Hero....I feel so blessed.

• Like 5

When I was a young man serving my apprenticeship, the fellows I worked with, (bless them all), were for the most part WWII vets. They were very direct in their communication skills. No words wasted, diplomacy not in their vocabulary. :)