Thermostat housing

I have a 1952 3/4 ton Job Rated, I am trying to figure out my radiator hose and thermostat housing. Here is what I have. The next picture is of another’s dodge. Do I have the wrong housing? 

4843F474-995F-4E4A-8F6E-D0C225FA1220.jpeg

ABA3CCF2-E938-4E35-A6FA-357FD8FC292F.jpeg

Edited by JaysonK
Sp

define "wrong" :)

I have 4.25 trucks LOL,  three have what you have

t-stat.JPG.6a1e6662e91205240465dcfc9623868d.JPG

and two have the style with the bypass

you can go to the local big box store and match/buy a preformed with a curve where needed and not have to worry about disturbing your housing in the least...you may need to trim one end or the other or maybe both to get the fit you want...my local store turns me loose in the back to find what I need as I do fit late model stuff into these old vehicles....makes life simple..

• Like 1

Your engine has internal bypass for the thermostat. The second pic that you posted is an external bypass system. Your housing is fine. There was also one with an elbow, like what Brent showed, but yours will work fine. Either get a flexible hose like baby_gonzo’s or take Tim’s suggestion and find a molded hose with a bend in it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

Your engine has internal bypass for the thermostat. The second pic that you posted is an external bypass system. Your housing is fine. There was also one with an elbow, like what Brent showed, but yours will work fine. Either get a flexible hose like baby_gonzo’s or take Tim’s suggestion and find a molded hose with a bend in it. 

So did the trucks in 52 have that many options. 

15 hours ago, JaysonK said:

So did the trucks in 52 have that many options. 

My 52 has the same housing as yours. The other configuration was for slightly earlier engines. More important than the housing itself is the condition of the cooling system. If yours has set for a long time be prepared for several rounds of flush outs. There are lots of threads here on that topic. And hopefully your WDT (water distribution tube) that is inserted in the block directly behind the water pump is in decent shape.

Jeff

Mine came on the truck with that flexible hose.  But...when I ordered a replacement from Rock Auto, it too was flexible.  I was going through my stash of parts, and found a flexible stainless universal hose...those are a little pricey, but since it was sitting around, I used it.  

image.png.c3b140a8099b0550fed8db7726a3039c.png

On 4/7/2018 at 1:13 PM, baby_gonzo said:

Mine came on the truck with that flexible hose.  But...when I ordered a replacement from Rock Auto, it too was flexible.  I was going through my stash of parts, and found a flexible stainless universal hose...those are a little pricey, but since it was sitting around, I used it.  

image.png.c3b140a8099b0550fed8db7726a3039c.png

Thanks, I have been looking online and it is not easygoing lol....thanks for responding 

I was really surprised when I asked for a top radiator hose for the hoopty while in podunk TX, they did not have the exact fit in stock.

So I asked if they had a universal or flexible hose available.  Of course not, they would not stoop so low to sell such a inferior part.

Seriously, they dismissed me and started helping the guy in line behind me.

The 93 dodge caravan hose has just a slight crook in the middle, a straight hose would work on it, I wonder why parts stores no longer carry these.

3 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

The 93 dodge caravan hose has just a slight crook in the middle, a straight hose would work on it, I wonder why parts stores no longer carry these.

Liability. So many big companies are so afraid of litigation that they only have exact fit in the system. The days of "making it work" don't work for them because what if someone didn't do it right and caused issues to either people or property and then tried to blame someone other than themselves. Its a sad state of affairs, but most big companies just don't want to deal with it. Either buy what my computer says is an exact fit or buy nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I was really surprised when I asked for a top radiator hose for the hoopty while in podunk TX, they did not have the exact fit in stock.

So I asked if they had a universal or flexible hose available.  Of course not, they would not stoop so low to sell such a inferior part.

Seriously, they dismissed me and started helping the guy in line behind me.

find a better store and just ask if they will let you look. Personally I find the flexible hoses 1/2assed looking and I would avoid one if at all possible

I tend to slant the other direction and gravitate toward the preform for a nice lean looking install.  While the ribbed universal will more than do the job the appearance in my eye is second rate short cut fix.  But then that is what keeps this place hopping and parts counters busy...individuality.....either will work...only you have to be happy with it...

I did a few videos that might help.

This one is about the Water Distribution Tube.

This one is about several topics, but covers The bypass.

48D

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Like 2

On 4/9/2018 at 3:04 PM, Young Ed said:

find a better store and just ask if they will let you look. Personally I find the flexible hoses 1/2assed looking and I would avoid one if at all possible

It is true each person has their preference, however as it gets harder to find things, improvising is becoming the norm.

My truck has been running but I did complet several radiator flushes, the hose that was on it was a work around (a hose with spring inside) just wanted to update to a better part.