'50 Dodge Fuel Gauge Operation

Gregarious13

5 hours ago, Gregarious13 said:

I did check the resistance of the windings last night and found one a 63 Ohms and the other at 95 Ohms. (this was after checking with 12V) Not sure which was which or what the specs are, but the windings are intact and the ground path through the gauge housing is good.

I suspect it's not shorted, rather too high resistance.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

After receiving the replacement gauge I measured the resistance of the electromagnet coils on it and found 68 ohms on the empty coil and 94 ohms on the full coil. Basically the same as the original. So that got me thinking about other reasons the gauge would not be working.  I knew the wiring and sender were working and I had power and ground to the gauge. The last thing I could do was swap the polarity of the wires connected to the gauge. That worked! 

When I rewired the dash I swapped the polarity of the gauge because I had changed the car from positive Earth to negative earth.  Turns out the gauge won't work that way, not sure why yet, but I'll think about it.

Conclusion: when changing to negative earth, don't change polarity on the fuel gauge. Power goes to the screw post and the sender wire goes to the bullet terminal.

Hopefully this helps someone when changing to 12v negative earth. Also use a voltage converter to drop to 6V.

Greg

IMG_20180410_182620.jpg

IMG_20180410_182612.jpg