48 Dodge - What happened to my threads?

ebruns1

Hey Fellas,

Here we have my 48 Dodge rear drum.  As you can see in the photos, one of the studs has hardly any threads left.  There was a lug nut on it so I guess it still has some "bite" but the threads look pretty worn.  Is there a way to press out the one stud and install a new one?  Would you just drive with it as is?  The other 4 lug nuts should hold the wheel on, correct?  I'm swapping the front over to discs, so I could always re-use one of the studs from the front drums, assuming you can remove them.  Or, do I just need to find a new hub from another car?  Unfortunately I just had these drums turned and I sanded the new rear brakes to fit this drum.  What would you suggest? 

20180330_150921_resized.jpg

20180330_150953_resized.jpg

Your Dodge was designed to have 5 studs ( with good threads ) in each hub. Yes you can use a stud from the front on the rear. Make sure it is from the same side of car so you don’t have left and right threads on the same wheel. They press out.

As a start I'd try a 1/2" UNF die nut on that thread, it might repair it enough to at least hold the nut tight but you should be able to press the stud out & replace it with another stud.....not sure if mopar studs either 48 Dodge or late model ones are easily available but I know that Frod ones are/were as I bought & used them when I was playing with wheel spacers yrs ago.........once you get the old stud out if need be in theory you could just use a 1/2" UNF high tensile bolt maybe grind the head down for any clearance issues and just tack weld it inside to the brake drum.............dunno if this helps...........andyd 

If you replace it, remove the damaged one properly with a hydraulic press.  Had a vehicle to the tire shop once, and found a snapped wheel stud on an OT vehicle  The tire monkey working on the car started to beat on the brake drum with a BFH to remove the broken stud.  I yelled at him to stop, and summoned the store manager, and insisted the repair be done properly with a hydraulic press.  The manager apologized, and gave the repair to another "mechanic" to complete.:angry:

To remove the old stud you can support the back of the drum with a piece of 2" pipe that surrounds the head of the stud and then you can knock it out with your BFH without hurting the drum, penetrating oil and possibly heat will make it easier.  If you are removing a stud you want to save then you are better off finding someone to press them out.

To install the new stud, it will have a knurled shaft by the head of the stud, slide the stud through the hole in the drum as far as it will go and then add a greased stack of flat wafers about an inch thick over the stud.  Install your lug nut upside down on the stud (flat side down) and as you tighten the nut against the greased stack of washers it will draw the stud into the hub until the head seats against the back of the drum. 

I did that repair on my 55 Chevy when I was 17 years old in the public library parking lot after an over zealous tire jockey over-tightened my lugnuts and four of the five studs snapped off while I was driving, all I needed was hand tools and a few well-chosen non-literary words to complete the job.

• Like 1

Great tips guys!  I"m sure I'll be able to salvage my rear drum now.  I'll do it properly and find someone with a press.  Good to know I'll have plenty of spare studs since I'm replacing the front drums with discs!  I guess that $500 I spent on the Scarebird disc kit and NAPA parts saved me $2.50 for the new stud!  :lol:

Jim