voltage regulator help

robt

I have spent several hours of reading threads and searching the web on voltage regulators.  If my question is redundant I apologize.  I have a GGW 6001C  (40 amp 8 volt shunt) generator out of a 1951 dodge fire truck.  It appears to be in very good condition compared to the other dozen or so generators that I have.  I planned to use it on my 265 build, but after switching my lower pulley to a damper(with narrow belt) I had to switch the pulley on the generator.  The original wide belt pulley was about 4.5" OD the narrow belt pulleys that I have are about 3.5" OD.  I read in a past thread that the last letter in the gen # relates to the pulley diameter.  I'm understand that because I'm going to a smaller pulley the generator will turn more rpm's.  Will that be an issue?  Will the regulator deal with extra output ?

My next issue is the regulator.  I found some Autolite data showing the proper regulator for GGw-6001 A,B,D, and J to be # VRP 6004A  and GGw-6001 J and K to be #VBE 6001A.  I could find nothing on the "C" which I believe is the pulley diameter.  Will either of these regulators work?  How specific does the regulator need to be to the generator?  There appears to be about a dozen different voltage regulators listed between 1947 to 1955.  Could I use any of these regulators as long as the are rated for my desired positive ground and are rated for more amps than my generator?

Lastly, are there issues with buying a NOS or used one off ebay or should I be looking at buying a newer replacement type regulator?

It would be easier to go to the one wire alternator either 6 or 12 volt but I don't want to do that because I want all the wiring in its original configuration.  

Thanks Rob

Buy an OE Autolite regulator that is in the original box and looks like it has always had good dry storage. I have bought a couple off Ebay easily.

Also look at the wiring screws and base mounting screw holes of the supposedly NOS regulator to be sure it has never been mounted or installed.

I don't know the answers on your other questions.

• Like 1

The original equipment Autolites will give the best service bar none.   That opinion is based on over 50 years of experience.

Generally speaking :

Without getting involved with numbers, the regulators used from 50 forward have the battery terminal on the opposite side from the other terminals and work well with all generators originally equipped with narrow belt pulleys.

Earlier regulators have the terminals all on one side and will work with generators equipped with wide belt pulleys.

Since you have a mixture of parts, it can become a try it and see proposition.

Current new regulators (Chinese) will not last or work correctly IMO.

I  have dealt with several jobs that had these installed. In the garbage they went.