Replacement Rod Bolts

rallyace

This has probably been answered a dozen times but I could not find anything about it. I am looking for a source for replacement connecting rod bolts, nuts and the special lock washers for a 218 CI flathead.  Thanks in advance.

Mike

These are the head bolts I used,listed as GM v8 fitment.  25 is the piece count I bought 21 for around a buck each 12 years ago. No issues.  Number should cross reference to other brands.  Machine shop sourced these for me.

DSC0007.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rallyace said:

Greg. I am all set with head bolts,  they are a stock item with Summit Racing. I am trying to locate a source for new rod bolts. They have a unique lock washer that fits into a recess in the rod cap.

Hi 'Rally,

The washer you need is a 3/8" High Collar Lockwasher. I've used many of these (inexpensive, less than $.10 a piece) parts on 230s and 265s.

"A high collar split lock washer has a smaller outside diameter and thicker section than a regular slit lock washer. It is intended for use with socket head cap screws because of the screw's small head diameter.".

Compare there specs with the original Mopar part number/description.

668555      Washer, Connecting Rod Bolt Lock, .387 I.D. x 17/32 O.D., 5/64 in. thk) (Bearing Cap).

Regards,

Walt

Walt..........this is what makes this forum so great........your info regarding the high collar lock washer has answered a question I had had regarding these particular lock washers, I didn't know what to call them but your post has answered this...........many thanks for this.......its good to learn something new each day.........thanks....Andy Douglas 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rallyace said:

Thanks, Greg. They show them in their online catalog. I will call them tomorrow.

Be aware that I ordered some rod lock washers from Vintage Power Wagons about a year ago, and when I received them, they were too large.  They said they didn't have any other sizes, so they gave me a refund.  It's possible that they've since corrected their stock, so it's still worth a try, but I just wanted you to be aware that they may not be the right ones.  Let us know how they work out.

Here are the 3/8"  lock washers we use for exhaust headers with a standard 3/8" grade 8 split washer in the mix for comparison.  

These what you are talking about Walt?

@49D-24BusCpe

IMG_0427.JPG

Hi 'Beebe,

Yours look right!

These 3/8" High Collar Lockwashers should be;

1) smaller than .550".

2) hardened.

3) thicker than a normal 3/8" lock washer.

I've got a couple of mine pictured below.

Walt

IMG_1988.jpg.2e5da168a362d935c21a230a726a224f.jpg