Fluid drive

Flatheadgasser

Hi all today was the first time I have had my 41Dodge luxury liner when i bought the car it had a small leak coming from the gearbox i have been told it could possibly be the graphite seal, but I pulled the car out off the workshop to find a lot of oil all over the floor, so with the car running the oil drips out of the drain hole is like a dripping tap after looking on line there's lots of conflicting information is it the graphite seal or is it the fluid drive assembly, have anybody had the same problem.

Cheers Damon 

Fluid drive fluid is more closely related to tractor or construction equipment hydraulic fluid than to motor or gear lube.  Try to I'd what is dripping.  If the seal on the FD unit was leaking it would typically be coming from in front of the clutch assembly.  Put some clean cardboard under the leak/leaks and isolate the location, color smell of the fluid.

Both engine oil and FD fluid will leak out of the same hole in the bottom of the bell housing...

Blakes C39 3 Pass Cpe Wiring ect Copy (7).JPG

Hi às per the picture it is definitely coming out of the the hole and it is not engine oil it's look like a very light oil and when I bought the car I was told that the oil in the fluid assembly (I think that's what it's called) had been topped up, but my concern is that which part is leaking because when we take the gearbox out how long it will take to get the relevant parts sent to the UK and is this a case of replacing every thing just to be safe, or is it repairable with a kit, there are not many fluid drive experts here in the UK, is it something you can do yourself in your workshop 

Cheers Damon 

3 hours ago, Flatheadgasser said:

Hi às per the picture it is definitely coming out of the the hole and it is not engine oil it's look like a very light oil and when I bought the car I was told that the oil in the fluid assembly (I think that's what it's called) had been topped up, but my concern is that which part is leaking because when we take the gearbox out how long it will take to get the relevant parts sent to the UK and is this a case of replacing every thing just to be safe, or is it repairable with a kit, there are not many fluid drive experts here in the UK, is it something you can do yourself in your workshop 

Cheers Damon 

Topping up the coupler sounds like it had a possible leak. But you might want to check the filler plugs in the coupler for proper sealing before you tear everything apart. View through inspection plate.

Edited by 1949 Goat

5 hours ago, 1949 Goat said:

Topping up the coupler sounds like it had a possible leak. But you might want to check the filler plugs in the coupler for proper sealing before you tear everything apart. View through inspection plate.

Do not over fill fluid drive assembly.. it will leak.. just a suggestion..

37 minutes ago, Flatheadgasser said:

Ok thanks I will give it a look and see do the filler plugs need a ecopper washer or a fibre washer

Been in enginering for many years and here working with couplers like the fluid drive concept.. over oiling causes problems .. oil levels are key..the method is 10 to or 10 past for oil levels.. in this case it would be 10 past  where the plug is situated..

22 hours ago, Trevor said:

Been in enginering for many years and here working with couplers like the fluid drive concept.. over oiling causes problems .. oil levels are key..the method is 10 to or 10 past for oil levels.. in this case it would be 10 past  where the plug is situated..

Preferably copper..