Water pump bolts/studs

Oberstar

Gents, I'm applying a new water pump to my D24 motor, installed into a WC52 3/4T truck.  My WC manual shows (3) studs utilized.  May I ask what length bolts you used in your block, and where did you place them?  Looking at the front of the motor, I plan on using a stud at the 3 o'clock position, but  which lengths to use at the 9 and 6?

Thanks!  Got a good price on a Gates, then learned it was Chinese...

With the use of the stud there would be a nut on the end to hold the body of the water pump onto the front of the engine block.  So first i would measue how deep each hole is and then figure the thickness of a nut to put on the exposed end then figure at least anothe 1/2 inch to thread into the front of the block.  I know the older engine used three studs and the newer engines used two studs and a bolt to thread and hold the wp to the block.

Just looked inmy  Desoto 1936-42 masterparts book and this is what they state are the measurements  is for 1936-1940    3/8 inch -16-24 x 2 7/16 inches, 3/8-16-24 x 2 5/16 inches   and 3/8 -16-24 x 1 11/16 inches.  Hope this helps you witht he studs and lengths.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

If you put a stud in will you still be able to service/replace the water pump with out removing the radiator?

on my 39 desoto I can pull the waterpump without removing the radiator.  i have to remove the fanblade assembly and the pully then the entire unit is unbolted and the unit slides off the three studs and I lift it right out of the engine compartment. This is all based on the original studs and the information that I provided based on my 1936-42 desoto Master parts catalog.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks for the replies, guys- In an effort to be aware of changing the water pump in the future, I utilized a stud at the 3 position, but new bolts and washers at the 6 and 9. 

I chased the threads and cleaned the bolts- but how are you expected to seal the threads that go into the water jacket, but also keep the bolts from seizing?