What To Tackle First

I have been posting on here about the front end of my truck, the valves of the truck and the boards in the back. I have been learning a lot from you guys about what I am doing or will do. So thank you

Now I have done some thinking and the truck is insured and runs and drives at the moment but I took some of the boards out of the back of the truck last year. So I guess that will be the first thing to do. At the moment though I'm not sure what type of wood I want. I have been looking at Marine plywood and or dougles fir. The big question is. Do I want a working truck if I want haul something in it or make it pretty. I was thinking of spraying it with that black liner stuff for back of trucks. Not sure. 

Ok, I will play along for a bit, do YOU want a working truck if I want haul something in it or make it pretty....??????????  If you building it to suit others, I personally want you to make it pretty, to hang with a work truck..you can get them for 500.00 on any street corner

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

1 hour ago, bambamshere said:

Sometimes I just regret posting on here. Oh well I liked this site time to log off for awhile. Happy Easter 

Why??  You asked an unanswerable question.  At least for us, it's your truck, your intended usage and ultimately your decision,

If you were asking for opinions, suggestions or discussion, it doesn't come across clearly.

Maybe try again with a clear question/statement/request or whatever you expect in response.

That all said, I'd probably go for a 'user' bed floor even though I'd like fancy but wouldn't be able to resist hauling stuff.

White oak with a black stain, really just thinned paint that allows the grain to show would be durable, rot resistant but kind of expensive

Douglas fir with the same finish would be my second choice.

What are plans for rest of truck. If painting I would go with pretty. If original patina go working. I believe original beds were hardwood.

Tim answered your question. He just has a unique way of using English and explaining things. I'm sure no offence meant and none should be taken.  

Easy, make it pretty.

Red oak comes to mind for me.

Then, keep a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood, cut to fit the bed, leaning up againts the garage wall for when you want to haul something.

That black liner stuff would not be on my horizon.

There are many options to choose, but ultimately the enthusiast writing the check has to live with the end result.  There are no easy answers here... if ya fix it up nice then ya don't want to bang it up...if ya fix it up to use and abuse then ppl gripe about how the truck ain't original...if you are thinking about using it to work, then you will have to find a happy medium...

original bed boards were oak then switched to pine at some point, I'm guessing that this was done as a factory cost reduction and that the look of the boards didn't matter cuz the whole bed was painted anyway, boards and all.  The liner application may not be the best approach, as it will badly delaminate if surfaces are not prepared properly.

One option is to make the bed structurally sound with quality lumber and paint the lumber black on all its edges to seal off the grain.  Any blemishes can be touched up with the black paint at any time...maybe even use a foam brush to hide the brush strokes :cool:

• Like 1

bambamshere, I am looking at replacing the boards on our B4D also, it's a flatbed  

I am looking at a hard wood like "white oak" and staining it

I also plan on abusing it...... partly because I am hard on stuff and partly to restore the worn look afterwards  :D

• Like 1