defroster blower (550 system)

bluefoxamazone

hi, does someone have by coincidence a working defroster ventilator/motor laying around...?

Or can I get around this by putting another ventilator in the system....

The car is a '53 Plymouth cranbrook...

thanks

Edited by bluefoxamazone

• bluefoxamazone changed the title to defroster blower (505 system)

I have seen the defroster motor on ebay but without the blower wheel. Is there an aftermarket wheel that would fit in the blower casing? anybody...?

I also see defroster blowers from younger models (rear window defrosters). At first sight they seem somewhat similar but since I have nothing to compare with..

Any idea if the same blower as on the '53 cranbrook was also used on other models/brands

Thanks!!! 

Edited by bluefoxamazone

I actually might have one. I got a box of misc parts some years ago and I believer there is a motor in it. Can you supply a number and/or picture of what you want. I will then look. If it is what you want I will give it to you for the price of shipping.

2 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I actually might have one. I got a box of misc parts some years ago and I believer there is a motor in it. Can you supply a number and/or picture of what you want. I will then look. If it is what you want I will give it to you for the price of shipping.

hi, that would be great!!!

unfortunately I do not have the old one... That is just my problem I have no references but I have noticed that most of the units look very much the same. I think we can make it work...

Could you make a picture and/or write down some measurements... I would appreciate this very much. Thanks and greetings from Belgium.

Bluefox..........my understanding of these is that whatever you call it its the same thing......defroster/ventilator/heater motor......I just had a look under Plymouth heater motor on US ebay and there are a few different listings for various years but none for 1953........BUT in a general sense the 1941-48 version shown looks very similar to that used up until at least 2001....they are a small electric motor with a caged fan blade and the motors them selves seem to have the same basic orientation, ie,  they appear to mostly have 3 or 4 mounting tabs that locate the motor and the caged fan sits inside the casing and pumps air which is directed downstream of the fan to either defrost the windscreen or heat the car...........are there any wrecking or salvage  yards in Belgium that you can checkout to find something that so long as it fits into the casing that you have, you can make a sheetmetal plate that has the new motor hole and mounts that the motor fits into and then the plate attaches to the casing ....then seal any edges with some sort of sealer...........ideally getting the correct one would be ideal but as you say Customs and freight are a big problem so finding something that already lives in Belgium obviously would be best..............andyd.       

Hello Andy! hope you're fine!

Mmmm... I see what you mean but... you do not find salvage yards in Belgium with old car wrecks, older then 20 years and for sure none with American cars... 6 volt is a major problem... I would like to keep the car as original as possible but in the end I might have to fabricate something of my own. From what I have seen indeed the defroster blower hasn't got a lot of different types.

I have also found the blower motor on EBAY but not the blower wheel (as it is called) so far.

Now my hope is to find a forum friend who has something laying around in a box in the shed somewhere and who would like to sell it to me. He'll get a box of chocolates on top of the selling price.... :-)  take care Franky

I wondered whether you were still 6volts with this car and I think thats one thing that will restrict the number of alternatives available..........good luck...........andyd.

11 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

hi, that would be great!!!

unfortunately I do not have the old one... That is just my problem I have no references but I have noticed that most of the units look very much the same. I think we can make it work...

Could you make a picture and/or write down some measurements... I would appreciate this very much. Thanks and greetings from Belgium.

Soon as I get a moment. 

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing this is the one you are looking for, this  is from my 54.  The main bushings are almost seized, it barely turns.  I bought one on ebay for $30.  Mopar part number 1604359.  Unfortunately for you it does not come with the squirrel cage or extra plate so I need to keep this one.  Maybe this can help you in your search!

unnamed[1] (3).jpg

• Thanks 1

this might also be it, car (52 suburban) has been sitting since 1965, be surprised if the motor was good but maybe.

Problem is, need someone to just come drag the car away. I am heading back to Texas in 3 days and no time to do what I need to get done.

Will have to come back in a couple months just to get my truck.

IMG_20171013_114055790.jpg

• Thanks 1

I took pics but will have to wait for my wife to get home to put them on my computer.  First i did crawl under the dash and look at my 52's defrost motor and it looks a lot like this one that i have extra. Still maybe they are the same. The motor works and is complete with cage and housing. Numbers on the motor are-1383847 and E 67.  The housing is about 5.5 by 5 inches and the motor is about 2.75 in diameter by 3 inches in height.  Let me know if that is close or helpful

3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I took pics but will have to wait for my wife to get home to put them on my computer.  First i did crawl under the dash and look at my 52's defrost motor and it looks a lot like this one that i have extra. Still maybe they are the same. The motor works and is complete with cage and housing. Numbers on the motor are-1383847 and E 67.  The housing is about 5.5 by 5 inches and the motor is about 2.75 in diameter by 3 inches in height.  Let me know if that is close or helpful

that sounds like it.....unfortunately I only have the cage (no numbers....). if I could get a cage and motor and blower wheel all together I think I could make it work...

Anyway , thank you very much for going to all this trouble for me... i appreciate this big time.

I am curious for the pics,

take care 

Franky