Prime Master Cylinder without Bench Bleeding

It would seem my mc has lost its prime. I filled it up and can't get pedal pressure. 

Was bleeding rear wheel cylinder, still open with tube to jar.

How am I going to get the fluid pumping again so I can get back to bleeding my brakes?

20180331_113706-1557x876.jpg

Will never get pedal pressure if all the drums are not all installed or tie down straps wrapped tightly around all the shoes. if the shoes can expand much the air cannot be released.

DJ

Ahh, tie down straps. Hadn't thought of that. I only have one drum off. Seems like all the fluid gravity fed out the right rear while my back was turned. Refilling the mc didn't help and now I'm stuck. I will add tie down straps and go at it again.

Pressure bleeder would be the best solution, vacuum bleeder next, pumpin' the pedal is always my last choice.  And, if I have to do that, a helper to pump the pedal while I maniputlate the bleed screw is must preferred over the' tube in a jar method'

JMNSHO.

4 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

Ahh, tie down straps. Hadn't thought of that. I only have one drum off. Seems like all the fluid gravity fed out the right rear while my back was turned. Refilling the mc didn't help and now I'm stuck. I will add tie down straps and go at it again.

I just got done replacing the brake pads, and used one of those long Home Depot carpenters clamps with the rubber pads. Worked great.  Also, when I first installed new brakes, I had a "heck" of a time bleeding the brakes.  Finally called some guys out with a pressure bleeder and all was good.

Why not just slip the drums on to bleed the system?... that's the smart one time way.

The shoes even with the return springs with hydraulic pressure behind them will easily blow the straps or clamps off once most of the air is removed.

Then a piston or two will be pushed out with the cup and a new bleed procedure will commence. Not fun and a waste of fluid and time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ralph Pearce said:

I just got done replacing the brake pads, and used one of those long Home Depot carpenters clamps with the rubber pads. Worked great.  Also, when I first installed new brakes, I had a "heck" of a time bleeding the brakes.  Finally called some guys out with a pressure bleeder and all was good.

I've come around to realizing that I'll need to either pressure bleed or vacuum bleed. Anybody have an experienced preference. I may drop by Harbor freight in the AM.

might just be me and bad eye sight, looks like that jar is empty, the hose needs to be submerged in brake fluid, or you are just pulling air back in.

For the record, I rarely have good luck with this method, I do try it but have better luck with 2 people. One to work the brakes and one to work the wheel cylinders.

Yeah, that was how I started. The wife was working the brake pedal when I discovered I had a defective part. My mistake was leaving the system open while waiting for the replacement part. 

BTW I've been following your posts and really like your story.

3 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Why not just slip the drums on to bleed the system?... that's the smart one time way.

The shoes even with the return springs with hydraulic pressure behind them will easily blow the straps or clamps off once most of the air is removed.

Then a piston or two will be pushed out with the cup and a new bleed procedure will commence. Not fun and a waste of fluid and time.

Good point. I was only using the bar clamp to squeeze the shoes in before attaching the spring, not for bleeding.

• Like 1

Hardest pedal I ever got on my '49 B1B was by gravity.  Short hose on each bleed fitting going into a jar, four hoses and four jars.  Open all bleed fittings and add fluid to brake master cylinder.  As you get fluid going into a jar, close that bleed fitting. When you have fluid in all jars, all bleed fittings closed,  top off master cylinder and your done.  Takes some patience but if working by yourself works great and costs little.

• Like 1