Changing jobs after 25years

Flatie46

Well after careful consideration and evaluation I have accepted a new job offer. I have been at my present job for 25years as a maintenance tech.  I really hate to leave but the opportunity just seems too good.  At my old job overtime was always the norm.  It had become overwhelming in the last few years. Been wearing me down. I had almost become apathetic tword my 46 Plymouth project and a few others.  The new job will be a weekend days shift. I will be working three 12 hour days and getting paid for 40hrs.  I will have 4days a week off with the new job among other perks such as a very significant raise that will almost equal the overtime pay I was receiving.  Other perks are a much shorter drive, profit sharing and a it's very solid company.  I've been so excited about it all. My youngest daughter who still lives at home is also excited. We have lots of plans for the summer. Fishing, camping and bike riding just to name a few.  It's kinda scary making a change after so long. I will loose my comfort zone but I think the potential benefits outweigh the risk. Wish me luck guys!

• Like 5

Congratulations on the new job. 

I made a similar move 16 years ago when my boys were young. I left a construction/Maintance job where I had apprenticed as an electrician and had been there for almost 17 years. I was on a large research project and they offered me a position, the only catch was that it started as a term. My wife and I had several discussions about the risk vs reward. I took the job and it was the 2nd best decision I made, the best decision I made was proposing to my wife. 

2 minutes ago, 1950 Special Deluxe said:

Congratulations on the new job. 

I made a similar move 16 years ago when my boys were young. I left a construction/Maintance job where I had apprenticed as an electrician and had been there for almost 17 years. I was on a large research project and they offered me a position, the only catch was that it started as a term. My wife and I had several discussions about the risk vs reward. I took the job and it was the 2nd best decision I made, the best decision I made was proposing to my wife. 

I hope this turns out the same for me, thanks!

2 minutes ago, TodFitch said:

Sounds like it is almost too good to be true. Congratulations!

That's exactly how I felt.  You don't know how much I kicked it around in my head before I commited.  My old company don't want to loose me. They have made several offers, some really hard to walk away from. The best offer I got though was that if it didn't work out I could step back in without loosing my seniority, benefits or vacation.  So it still seems too good to be true.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Todd B said:

Really hope it works out for you. Keep the door open with your previous employer and never burn a bridge.

True, that's how I feel.  I told my son when I started there 25yrs ago I could go back to any job I've ever had and they would welcome me back.  I'm really proud after all these years I can still honestly make that statement.

• Like 2

Best of Luck with your new job and remember the old saying... "No one lays on their death bed wishing they had spent more time at the office"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Hope the new job works out.. I recently became an employee after nearly 40 years of self-employment. The transition has been a challenge.. Thankfully the company I'm working for allows me a great deal of independence..

Thanks, I hope so too.  40 Years is a long time and change isn't easy as we get older.  Today was my last day.  They had a dinner for me with the other maintenance guys, supervisors, etc.  A lot of nice things were said about me.  I told my wife, "I bet people don't speak that nice of me at my funeral". lol  They told me the offer still stands, if the new job doesn't work out they would love to have me back.  It's hard to leave, spent more time with a lot of the people there than my own family over the years.  Made some really good friends.  I know I'll see some at Wal-Mart or the grocery store but some probably not.  It was a sad day all in all but I hope to make new friends and look forward to the time I will get to spend with my own family now.  I know at the new job they are pretty strict so some of the horse play and pranks will stop.  I got in a few before I left.  One fellow maintenance tech was on vacation.  I was concerned his tool box might roll away so I welded a piece of bar stock to his table and his box frame.  I was also concerned about his locker, the lock looked a bit flimsy.  I would hate for someone to break in with him gone...so I welded the door up.  We've always looked out for eachother:rolleyes:.  

All of this has been kinda stressful.  I'll be leaving out in the morning for the Charlotte Auto Fair and swap meet.  Going to have lots of cold beverages and just roll myself in old car junk.  Maybe I will find a few parts for the Plymouth or the other projects, if not I know at  least  I will find a good time. 

• Like 3

Sounds like you were in a good place. The new job will be fine, too.. It's all to do with you and your attitude..

Have a good time at Charlotte!! I'm sure we'd all like to be there, too.. I'm going to an auction with a couple of friends to look at some motorcycles and parts.. If we don't end up with anything we'll at least run the prices up!!  :D

Edited by MackTheFinger
  • Like 1

Money can always be made, but our time is very short and limited.  Congratulations Flatie46! I am very happy for you.  I too can be rehired with previous employers.  You must be a very professional guy. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 12:14 PM, Flatie46 said:

Well after careful consideration and evaluation I have accepted a new job offer. I have been at my present job for 25years as a maintenance tech.  I really hate to leave but the opportunity just seems too good.  At my old job overtime was always the norm.  It had become overwhelming in the last few years. Been wearing me down. I had almost become apathetic tword my 46 Plymouth project and a few others.  The new job will be a weekend days shift. I will be working three 12 hour days and getting paid for 40hrs.  I will have 4days a week off with the new job among other perks such as a very significant raise that will almost equal the overtime pay I was receiving.  Other perks are a much shorter drive, profit sharing and a it's very solid company.  I've been so excited about it all. My youngest daughter who still lives at home is also excited. We have lots of plans for the summer. Fishing, camping and bike riding just to name a few.  It's kinda scary making a change after so long. I will loose my comfort zone but I think the potential benefits outweigh the risk. Wish me luck guys!

You don't need luck. You already have good fortune.

When counting up the pluses and considering income,don't forget to include the money you save from not having to drive to and from work 2 days a week,plus the maintenance and wear and tear on your car.

• Like 1