Setting cam to crankshaft timing

Kw6155

Can some one go through a step by step process on setting the crankshaft to cam timing....my engine has the head on and timing chain was off along with cam gear ....I thought they were on right but not sure ....thanks for the help or pointing me in the right direction..

Pretty easy, just match the dots on the cam gears, put the chain on. You will need to verify when #1 is firing position the rotor is pointing to the correct wire location on the cap. If not rotate it 180 degrees. 

Dots lined up ...rotor in 7pm position ...plug wires on in correct counter clockwise direction ....and still popping back through carb when trying to start .....help!!!! Getting frustrated ...

Needs to pull the front valve cover and verify #1 piston is in firing position (both valves closed, continue to turn it over a little further and the exhaust valve opens next).   If not you are probably 180 degrees off on the rotor. Loosen the distributor lockdown nut, pull it out enough till the rotor turns and reset 180 degrees from the original location. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I'm  rebuilding my engine and I apologize for bringing up yet another timing question. Please take a look at my pictures and let me know if I'm seeing things right..

I lined up the dot marks.

Timing Marks.jpg

The #1 piston is at TDC.

Top Dead Center.jpg

But it looks to me like the #1 piston is NOT in firing position.

#1 Cam Lobes.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

With the marks like that you will have #6 in firing position. Rotate the crankshaft 1 full revolution and both marks should be at the top fo their respective sprockets. They will all line up through the center lines fo the shafts. This will be #1 TDC on compression stroke. 

• Thanks 2

Merle, you're right. When I line my dots up like the picture below, it looks like my #1 is in firing position (going by how the cam lobes are positioned.)

Dots on Sprockets.jpg

The #1 piston is now in firing position.

#1 Cam Firing Position.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

keep it simple...the cam is what sets the relationship compression/exhaust......set it mark to mark and you are on TDC 1 then your only other concern is that the distributor is timed to fire the plug at this point and the time to establish you 7 o'clock position if you wish to keep true to the book...  The two revs of the crank is needed to get timing marks back dot to dot..that is all phases of the 4 stroke engine.....valve operation is explained in the repair manual when set in this relationship....page 147 my book.

The B-3 Series shop manual shows a picture of the dots on the crankshaft and cam pulleys right next to each other so I decided to follow the book's example.  That put my #1 and #6 pistons at TDC.  (#1 and #6 are companion cylinders.) From looking at the cam lobes, #6 is in firing position.  (#1, which is not in firing position, is almost ready for the intake valve to open.)  I installed the oil pump and distributor so that the rotor on my distributor is at 7 o'clock. So, when I install my plug wires I'll just run a wire from the 7 o'clock distributor post to the #6 plug. Then I'll install the remaining plug wires in accordance with the firing order. That should work.

My B-3 shop manual doesn't seem to say anything about making sure that the rotor is in the 7 o'clock position. As long as the the rotor lines up with the wire going to the cylinder that is firing does it matter?

It would be fun to know exactly how the Dodge factory ran the wires from which distributor post to which cylinder.  I haven't seen a good photo of that yet. If anyone has that info, please share it.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B