Strange Brake Issue

This problem is not new, rare, but not new.  First time I saw this was on a 57 chevy back in 1959or60.  Friend was driving on the highway and hadn't braked for miles.  As a matter of fact he was sort of racing another guy when the left rear wheel locked up!!

Lining came loose and wedged between things.  Since then I've seen several, but none that caused a lockup while driving.  My dad had a salvage from 60 til 90 and I worked part time for him.  I did a lot of mechanical work as well a removing parts for sale.    Several brake tear downs revealed separated linings.  On those where I was able to get some history, they all had one thing in common.  they were relines, not new shoes.  So, I developed the opinion that poor surface prep or bonding practice in those rebuilders was the cause. 

A lot of rebuilders, of all parts, in those years were not very professional and cut corners in order to keep prices low and sales high.

Well, I got the front brakes done and out for a test run on the expressway (neighborhood first).  No more funny business with the brake pedal.  The pads on the passenger side were fine, though have now been replaced.  Will replace the rears in the near future.  

Yes Merle, I did get the brakes arced and I tried to dial them in as well as I could.  I now have a nice strong clutch and brakes, and ready for the next issue!  

Thanks again to all for your ongoing support.

• Like 2