Strange Brake Issue

19 hours ago, Ralph Pearce said:

I have tomorrow through the weekend off, so I'll get her up on stands in the morning, get the hubs off and go from there...will keep you guys posted.

Back to your original question. When the pedal goes to the floor, can you pump it a couple times to get it a full pedal? Then the next time it will go back to the floor? 

Here's another question for you guys.   Is it okay for the brake pads to bounce around loose inside the drum?  That doesn't hurt anything right?  Joking of course.  These are my front brakes, will go ahead and replace all around.  These appear to have attached with some adhesive rather than rivets.  

Loose pads.jpg

• Haha 3

I did a total brake job just a few years ago; m/c, lines, cylinders, shoes. You can see that there's not much wear to the lining. It appears that most/all of my brake components were purchased through Robert's.  Won't be running bonded shoes again.  Having the old shoes cleaned up and re-lined (with rivets) for $25 each.  

3 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Didn't you say at the very beginning of this thread that you had already replaced the hoses, wheel cylinders, brake linings and bled the brakes? Seems to me this should have surfaced then.....

Yes I did, and the shoes were (appeared) fine when new.  

5 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Nothing wrong with bonded shoes. That’s how they were new as well. I don’t know where Robert’s gets their shoes but apparently it was a poor bonding procedure. Might be worth a call on Monday. 

Maybe Merle, I certainly respect your opinion, but I think I'll be sticking with riveted for the time being :) 

I see now Ralph... so you had the eccentric braking system where the pads would revolve with the drum and become active when the shoe came out to meet them :D

I'm glad that you found the issue without incident as my friend had the bonding come loose on the brake shoes of his 29 Dodge delivery van, which locked the brake on when the drum warmed up. I send him the photo I took of his car on the back of a tow truck from time to time just to stir him up.

Regards to you and your Dad Ralph.

29 on tow truck.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ralph Pearce said:

I did a total brake job just a few years ago; m/c, lines, cylinders, shoes. You can see that there's not much wear to the lining. It appears that most/all of my brake components were purchased through Robert's.  Won't be running bonded shoes again.  Having the old shoes cleaned up and re-lined (with rivets) for $25 each.  

A number of brake items, not all, were purchased by this customer in 2013.   Lining failure can be caused by a number of issues in addition to a bad bond.  Brake shoes have been bonded for decades and have been used without issue when installed correctly.  If your shoes get too hot the bond will fail.  I would suggest that if you have issues with a supplier or the product that they have provided to you that at least give them a call and give them a chance to address your concerns prior to naming them online without the benefit of a chance to fix the issue.   If your shoes failed because the bond was bad they would be replaced.  If they failed because they got too hot and detached they would not.  I can be reached at 978 363 5407 if you would like to discuss this matter further.  

There you go @Ralph Pearce, it's all your fault.  I don't know what the solution is going to be. Don't drive on hot days? Add some venting? Don't carry large loads down long hills? Good luck!

My brake linings are bonded too. I'm going to open 'em all up and see if they are still attached B)

• Like 1

Front shoes should never fail, I could possibly see rears if the park brake was left on and driven a long time, but even emergency braking should never cause the front to fail like these have.  I don’t think there is an issue with naming the supplier, as long as the issue is resolved and those details also posted.  I’m just glad nobody found this info out post accident.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FlashBuddy said:

There you go @Ralph Pearce, it's all your fault.  I don't know what the solution is going to be. Don't drive on hot days? Add some venting? Don't carry large loads down long hills? Good luck!

My brake linings are bonded too. I'm going to open 'em all up and see if they are still attached B)

That's not the point I was making at all.  I am happy to take a look at the issue and address if I can, 4+ years after the items were purchased.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4mula-dlx said:

Front shoes should never fail, I could possibly see rears if the park brake was left on and driven a long time, but even emergency braking should never cause the front to fail like these have.  I don’t think there is an issue with naming the supplier, as long as the issue is resolved and those details also posted.  I’m just glad nobody found this info out post accident.

Being left on is what I mean

It's not unknown for front brake linings to become detached. I have a 1963 Ford:eek:Fairlane and had one shoe lining detach on the passenger side front. Car braked fine but wheel stuck when reversing. To check out the problem, I pulled drum and found the detached lining. Brakes shoes were done by a local shop and he replaced all front linings for me. These were also bonded and I have had no trouble. Sometimes s**t just happens.

I agree that it would be nice to contact the seller before posting names but as stated if the issue is resolved after naming then those details should be posted. 4+ years is a long time after purchase to expect any dealer to replace a product. This could happen with anything like a water pump, fuel pump, head gasket, etc.

I have not dealt with Roberts personally so I have no dog in this fight. Just stating my two nickels worth as we got rid of cents several years ago in Canada.

Edited by RobertKB
Spelling
  • Like 2

Ok let's make sure things cool off here gang.  Please note that some if not all of the vendors we use on our trucks likely read this forum, some even post like Gary.  I have every faith that none of them intentionally sell a bad product or try to pawn off responsibility.  They are likely enthusiasts just like us and want to have a good name and supply quality parts.  

I for one firmly believe in life when something goes wrong FIRST call the supplier to see if things can get resolved BEFORE I go off on them on a forum.  Keyboards are dangerous and misconceptions/opinions can get blown out of proportion.

• Like 4

Thumbs Up to Gary Roberts. It looks as if he is willing to stand behind his products which he has done in the past with me.

I don’t believe any of us were were saying that Gary Roberts sells junk parts. I know I certainly wasn’t. If my comments came off that way I appologize. I was only suggesting he got shoes from a bad batch. That can happen with any manufacturer, which is why I suggested contacting Gary. I’ve always been happy with my purchases from him. 

Ralph, it seems that you have lost faith in bonded shoes, and I can understand that based on your experience. However, I don’t know where you’ll find rivited linings for that size shoe. I suggest you work with Gary on a new set and get back up and running. 

3 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

I don’t believe any of us were were saying that Gary Roberts sells junk parts. I know I certainly wasn’t. If my comments came off that way I appologize. I was only suggesting he got shoes from a bad batch. That can happen with any manufacturer, which is why I suggested contacting Gary. I’ve always been happy with my purchases from him. 

Ralph, it seems that you have lost faith in bonded shoes, and I can understand that based on your experience. However, I don’t know where you’ll find rivited linings for that size shoe. I suggest you work with Gary on a new set and get back up and running. 

I have purchased many parts from Robert's Motor Parts over the years and am very grateful to them for helping us keep our trucks on the road.  I was asked who the supplier was, and if I was remiss in responding, I sincerely apologize. 

If I had more recently purchased these shoes, I would have likely contacted Gary about them. But like Gary says, it's been about 4 years, and perhaps there were contributing factors to their failure.  

In the interest of moving forward, I decided to take my old shoes down to a local resource who will be re-lining them (with rivets) for $25 each.