1948 Dodge brake drums with studs mystery?

ebruns1

Fellas,

Following up on my post about if the '49 Ford Shoebox rims would fit on our mopar hubs...it was mentioned that the 46-48 mopars only came with lug bolts and not studs.  Here's a photo of the drums I just had resurfaced (minimal) that were on the car.  Do these look like an aftermarket drum, a later year drum scavenged for my car (if that's even possible), or pressed in studs on original drums to make it easier to change tires?  I took this quick photo before work this morning and I did not have time to look for a locating pin to see if it had been knocked out or cut off.  From what I remember I didn't think I saw any evidence of the pin...but when I get home I will wire brush them and clean them up a bit so I get a better idea.  These are both front and rear like this...so I doubt the rear was swapped.  What do you guys think? 

PS - After dealing with the pins on my 1937 International PU, unless it was a show car I would never leave the pins in and would convert all my drums to studs.

Jim

Dodge 48 - brake drums.jpg

1 hour ago, ebruns1 said:

Fellas,

Following up on my post about if the '49 Ford Shoebox rims would fit on our mopar hubs...it was mentioned that the 46-48 mopars only came with lug bolts and not studs.  Here's a photo of the drums I just had resurfaced (minimal) that were on the car.  Do these look like an aftermarket drum, a later year drum scavenged for my car (if that's even possible), or pressed in studs on original drums to make it easier to change tires?  I took this quick photo before work this morning and I did not have time to look for a locating pin to see if it had been knocked out or cut off.  From what I remember I didn't think I saw any evidence of the pin...but when I get home I will wire brush them and clean them up a bit so I get a better idea.  These are both front and rear like this...so I doubt the rear was swapped.  What do you guys think? 

PS - After dealing with the pins on my 1937 International PU, unless it was a show car I would never leave the pins in and would convert all my drums to studs.

Jim

Dodge 48 - brake drums.jpg

" After dealing with the pins on my 1937 International PU, unless it was a show car I would never leave the pins in and would convert all my drums to studs."

My all-original 39 IHC D-2 has lugs on all 4 hubs. IHC's are SOOO much fun to find and buy parts for! Not to mention cheap,if you are Bill Gates.

56 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

Whoever said 46-48 D-24 came with lug bolts was wrong....you're car came with studs pressed in from the factory.

That was me,and yes,I was wrong. Owned several Plymouths when I was younger,and that's what I get for assuming.

Edited by knuckleharley

2 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

My 47 DeSoto came with locator pins and lug bolts, RH on right side LH on left side. 

5aba54bda2e65_loweringblocks001.jpg.353124cc476c9ab9a8789a2d8c989bac.jpg 

Wow! That means it would have the same sized brake shoes as the lighter Plymouth.

Dodge manufactured in the USA generally used drums with the flat flange and studs.  The wheels also had a different offset.   The same car manufactured in Canada used bolts like the Plymouth Desoto and Chrysler.

• Like 1