Heater box questions

Rjpond

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

if you have adequately sleeved the wire with insulation material l sufficient for the application, chances of shorting are virtually eliminated AT THE POINT OF REPAIR..however the rest of the circuit may have risk issues... run a risk assessment on the entire circuit.

Yes, I reckon that's what should be done.  I had done repairs on all of the frayed wires on the main wire harness back in the early 80's, and the car has been inside all of this time, but I should look it all over again.  I suspect, though, that this on the heater was caused by heat, because the wire they had wrapped back and forth on the grate is the one that is totally brittle.  The other wire is only deteriorated to that point inside the motor, and for a space where it comes out of the top of the heater.

I was out at the Amish shop that repairs old hit & miss engines this morning, and the wire they have is a smaller gauge.  The heater is not included in the P15 schematic I have (downloaded from this site at some point), but the one for the P17 does show it, and it indicates 12 gauge there.  So I'm assuming this is also 12 ga.