The Great Frame, Sub Frame, IFS Stock, Truck I Beam Debate Thread

55 Fargo

Wiggo,

What are you going to cast your part with? I tried to cast an emblem with aluminum, but it was so porous that is wasn’t usable. I suspect I had the temperature of the molten metal wrong, or that my process was faulty, but as it was my first attempt, can’t say with any certainty, other than I wound up with a piece of junk. Thot's???

Edited by DrDoctor

54 minutes ago, DrDoctor said:

YoungEd,

Where we are, we have the basic safety inspections, and emissions testing. There’s also a category for street rods, but they only have to have an inspection upon initial registration, and that inspection is the same as for ‘regular’ cars, but the emissions standards are based upon the year of manufacture of the engine. So, if the engine is a pre-emissions regulated one, there’s no emissions standards, thus no emissions test is conducted. Seems fair. They actually spend more time verifying the VIN, and then place a state-assigned VIN on the frame, and on the body, after which, the car’s registered, tagged with a street rod tag, and you’re good to go.

Wiggo,

What are you going to cast your part with? I tried to cast an emblem with aluminum, but it was so porous that is wasn’t usable. I suspect I had the temperature of the molten metal wrong, or that my process was faulty, but as it was my first attempt, can’t say with any certainty, other than I wound up with a piece of junk. Thot's???

Well, the emblem was pretty rotten pot metal, and the chroming was was padly pitted, so it was never going to be show quality. I just took a couple of bits of aluminium, bent one into a vee with a brick bolster and a lump hammer, bent the other in the vise and trimmed it to shape with a die grinder, then wired the whole lot round the end of the emblem I had with copper wire. I sealed the sides with clay, filled it with inch long clippings of plumbers' lead solder and set to with a blowtorch. 

I'll post some pics tomorrow. It's far from perfect, but I suspect it could be improved a lot and plated over, if I had a mind...

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2018 at 8:53 PM, knuckleharley said:

Some people, by nature, just ain't happy unless everyone wears red and marches in a straight line. It's emotional,and no amount of reason will ever sway them.

These are the same people that organize and join Homeowners Association Boards so they can regulate what size and color trashcans everybody else uses,and they just LOVE zoning laws.  Anyone that deviates in any way from their narrow-minded viewpoints is their natural enemy and needs to be punished.

No joke!! I was taught to find something to like about every vehicle you look at and to keep quiet about the things you don't like... Even gold plated engraved brake rotors :)

• Like 2

On 4/2/2018 at 1:22 PM, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Hey all we need to step back from.the " keyboards" and be Kool.

Hey man build as you see fit, with what you want at the " end day" it wont mean a damn thing as long is you were having fun and not hurting anybody.

You want a Chevy chassis then have a Chevy chassis. 

You want a Ford engine or diff then do it.

Just because I don't like or agree with it means absolutely jack $hit.

Enjoy your projects as You like..

I did a Blasphemous thing today, I put my Explorer wheels on the Fargo.

I am repainting the rims and 1 is bent.

The old exploder wheels ride harsher but steer and ride real nice on the highway.

20180402_121424_resized.jpg

I like your truck.. The Exploder wheels don't look bad on it, either.. I put almost 400,000 miles on a '94 Exploder... Except for a starter, water pump, and alternator the engine was untouched.. Transmission finally quit or I'd probably still be driving it..