1948 Dodge convertible - what number is it? D-24?

ebruns1

Hey Folks,

What is the number for my car?  Looked in the reference sections and a few areas and I can't come up with it.  Obviously I need the number to help with parts replacement, especially convertible specific parts. 

OK, thanks Mark.  I have a Chrysler Shop Manual not a Dodge and it has C28, C30 ,C33, C34, C36, C37, C38, C39 and C40 so I assumed my convertible would be one of the other numbers.  So then, is mine the Custom or Deluxe?  When looking for parts most web sites ask which one, what determines that?  Fluid Drive or 3-speed?

Edited by ebruns1
corrections

The custom is the upscale model and has features like black knobs on the dash, electric wipers, chrome trim on the inside of the door under the window, and usually factory installed directional signals with the indicators next to the high beam indicator above the speedometer.  Suppliers like Rock Auto ask which model it is, but for engine, brake or suspension parts it makes no difference.

A couple of pictures would be helpful......

Usually a convertible is only made in the top model line .......so, if Custom is the top line, then yours is probably

a Custom.   I assume a serial number on a Dodge is embossed into the drivers side of the engine, starting 

with "D24" followed by several numbers.   Probably the serial # is stamped into the frame on the left, outer

frame rail, a little before the left rear wheel if I remember correctly.  Will probably need a wire brush to

clean off rust to see the number.   

Edited by BobT-47P15

Robin - very interesting on the Canadian Dodge D25!  Mine is definitely a D24 as it has the extended fender flair that runs half way back of the doors.

Busycoupe and BobT - Thank you for that info.  I will search for the serial numbers next time I'm at my friends garage where the car currently sits on his lift while he installs the new brakes.

Jim