Cleaning the old farm dust

I have been looking at google to see if there was a easier way to clean the old farm dust and grim off parts on my truck. The dirt and grime on the parts like the axle and steering box is real bad. So much I tried to pressure was it off last year and it didn't penetrate the dirt. Kind of like cement now. 

Anyways does anyone have a easy way to do it. Juat so it is easier to get to bolts to take stuff off. 

I have tried pressure washing it and carb cleaner to see if it will loosen it up and wire wheel on a drill. 

I used a torch to warm it up and scraped off if it was kinda tar based.  Otherwise a good old paint or ice scraper and a few beers did the trick.

You can try a couple cans of actual foaming degreaser, carb cleaner evaporates too fast, brake clean is actually better...I use it on a lot of parts clean up.  Even soaking it in WD40 or PB blaster can help with the rock hard stuff...then after scraping, clean with brake clean or degreaser....Princess Auto has brake clan on cheap right now, if they have any left

I tried a wire brush on the end of a drill the stuff was so hard that sparks started flying. Guess stuff has almost turned to rock. I have gotton some off today. Its just so you can get to the bolts and put some penetrating oil on them. 

An old fashioned steam cleaning machine would be my tool of choice. When I was a kid working in an old garage I was taught how to use one of these things properly. The steam and some laundry detergent just melted the crud away. I got really good with it and the results were often astonishing. Much better than a pressure washer!

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff Balazs said:

An old fashioned steam cleaning machine would be my tool of choice. When I was a kid working in an old garage I was taught how to use one of these things properly. The steam and some laundry detergent just melted the crud away. I got really good with it and the results were often astonishing. Much better than a pressure washer!

Jeff

Hang a line and clean you underwear at the same time! :huh:

Make your wife happy also!  :D

DJ

Edited by DJ194950