What is this?

pflaming

Looking home made for sure.  Definitely no kübel.... A pal in tucson had something similar.  Was on a shortened VW pan and retained all the VW running gear.  Nothing above knee high was VW though.  Could be fun, but in these days of cell phones I'd probably stay off a busy street with it!!  B)

11 minutes ago, thebeebe5 said:

Looking home made for sure.  Definitely no kübel.... A pal in tucson had something similar.  Was on a shortened VW pan and retained all the VW running gear.  Nothing above knee high was VW though.  Could be fun, but in these days of cell phones I'd probably stay off a busy street with it!!  B)

New laws in my area.

On cell phone without being " hands free" texting and a whole list of distracted driver items.

Automatic 3 day license supension on the spot.

2nd time 7 days suspension on the spot.

Fines on top of this 200 then 500.

Im so sick of texting and frigging distracted drivers pn our Roadways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

New laws in my area.

On cell phone without being " hands free" texting and a whole list of distracted driver items.

Automatic 3 day license supension on the spot.

2nd time 7 days suspension on the spot.

Fines on top of this 200 then 500.

Im so sick of texting and frigging distracted drivers pn our Roadways.

Sorry for the OT diversion, but that's a good start.  I used to bicycle 90-150 miles a week.  This, before cell phones were so prevalent.   I've lost a lot of friends/co-riders to phone weilding motorists that I have completely quit road riding.  Just not worth it....

Well, the guy GAVE it to me, so the price is right. At least it would make for interesting yard art. 

So. . . Possibly a Shriners parade car! So. . . What if I extend and reinforce the frame, put Porsche engine in it, large flapper tires on the rear, good bucket seats, a roll bar, and head for Pismo Dunes? Not much texting there!!!! 

Edited by pflaming

Got any more pictures? You might just of stumbled upon a bit of forgotten history there. The author Earle Stanley Gardner of Perry Mason fame was an avid desert explorer. He mounted some truly amazing expeditions into Baja in the 40's, 50's and early 60's. Roads did not exist where he wanted to go and so he funded the development of several types of off road vehicles. Everything from 2 and 3 wheelers to VW powered buggies. The well known Tote-Goat as an example was an early pet project of his. I am not 100% certain this was one of the VW based variants he had produced over the years but it sort of looks like it could be. Heck there may even be pictures of this "thing " in one of the several books he wrote about exploring Baja. If it is one then surely it would be worth serious coin to real off roaders who know about this chapter of early vehicle development.

Jeff

• Like 1

The WC looks like it started life as a Command Or Radio Reconnaisance car. The frame has been cut to lengthen it or it has a 123” WC frame on it along with helper springs.  Could be an early, mid or late series built WC. Nice job on turning it into a practical farm vehicle. Does it have the Flathead 6? Any pic’s of the instrument panel and data plates possible? What is the serial number on the frame? Got ask all these questions as I am a Military WC 1/2 ton Guy.

18 minutes ago, Dozerman51 said:

The WC looks like it started life as a Command Or Radio Reconnaisance car. The frame has been cut to lengthen it or it has a 123” WC frame on it along with helper springs.  Could be an early, mid or late series built WC. Nice job on turning it into a practical farm vehicle. Does it have the Flathead 6? Any pic’s of the instrument panel and data plates possible? What is the serial number on the frame? Got ask all these questions as I am a Military WC 1/2 ton Guy.

Sorry I should have posted a link, just ran across it today and when I saw this thread it kinda sparked a idea.

https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/d/rare-1941-dodge/6542997772.html

Rare 1941 Dodge pickup. Fully functional, street legal, and runs good. Is titled and registered. Originally was a Command Car in WWII, has command car chassis, now a flatbed. 4x4. Has original in-line 6 motor, 4 speed manual. Glad to answer any questions about the restoration. Makes a great parade car, very fun! Delivery available. $6,400

41-2.jpg

Edited by Los_Control

Hard to say Paul. I don't own the books so no photos to look at. I do know that most of them were built here in California.....I think at a shop in the San Fernando valley. I do know these vehicles served as the impetus for the VW powered dune buggy craze of the 60's. Mr. Gardner put a ton of money into his expeditions and the resulting books are quite an interesting read. The planning and logistics required was amazing. He had a whole team of supply guys whose function was to set up fuel depots and bring food and water into areas that were previously only used by burros and horses.

6 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Well it's mine now. What to do?  Yard art, BBQ, add engine and ballon tires for an old mans dune buggy, give it to Tim and Steph! !!!! 

put a 218 and a 5spd in it and have some fun!

as Young Ed say, put a 218, 5 speed, rear gear out of an Explorer, The radiator from a Dodge Ramcharger, front brake change over from a 911 Porsche and adjustable Bilstein shocks with front and rear sway bars.  Not saying this would be a suitable/working combination but when done it would awesome rolling over a cliff somewhere...:eek:   In reality, only you can decide if its worth any time and effort to try and do anything realistic with it...but the thought of adding a belly mower deck to it I think would be closer to a proper application.

7 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Hard to say Paul. I don't own the books so no photos to look at. I do know that most of them were built here in California.....I think at a shop in the San Fernando valley. I do know these vehicles served as the impetus for the VW powered dune buggy craze of the 60's. Mr. Gardner put a ton of money into his expeditions and the resulting books are quite an interesting read. The planning and logistics required was amazing. He had a whole team of supply guys whose function was to set up fuel depots and bring food and water into areas that were previously only used by burros and horses.

Why not drop a cheap OHC 4 cylinder with an automatic trans in it,and have some fun.

Maybe a turbocharged Hyabusa engine. I bet there are quite a of those laying around from all the wrecks. Chain drive and a live rear axle would work well since there doesn't appear to be a rear axle anyway. People are bragging about 650 hp out of one of the 1400 cc models.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update, my truck made up the hill today, so I'm nearly ready to pick up this frame on my way to the BBQ. Maybe someone there can help identify what it is or could be. 

5 hours ago, pflaming said:

Update, my truck made up the hill today, so I'm nearly ready to pick up this frame on my way to the BBQ. Maybe someone there can help identify what it is or could be. 

I will miss the BBQ because my engine went south.  I will be spending the next few days replacing it.  I love turning wrenches and need this for therapy.

That is a neat VW project for sure.  I have never owned one, but perhaps someday I will.  I hope that you can get it on the road again, or find someone who can.  Have fun at the BBQ!  :D

I really don't need nor should have another project but this seeming manufactured frame is unusual. It even has a production/serial number on it. The seller is looking for VW engine, transmission, and rear axle parts for me. I think I will have my 13 year old grandson, who lives with us, under my guidance rebuild it into a street legal, two passenger dune buggy. Then I have an economical run down town vehical. Have two pair of rear tires. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pflaming said:

I really don't need nor should have another project but this seeming manufactured frame is unusual. It even has a production/serial number on it. The seller is looking for VW engine, transmission, and rear axle parts for me. I think I will have my 13 year old grandson, who lives with us, under my guidance rebuild it into a street legal, two passenger dune buggy. Then I have an economical run down town vehical. Have two pair of rear tires. 

Sounds like a good plan.  Not to mention fun too!