1942 Business Coupe Victory model

ClassicCarRepair

A while ago I asked on this forum whether the Dodge/Desoto & Chrysler 41-48 Business coupe doors were the same as the same year Club Coupe doors and the general statement was that they were so that might offer some avenue or way of finding another door.............the reason I asked about the interchange between these doors is that neither of these coupes were ever sold in Oz and after looking at various pics of these cars over the years I wondered about the sameness in the upper door shape.............anyway hope this helps............andyd  

41 (D19) was the last year for the distinctive running board, slab doors.  The 42 had a faux running board designed into the bottom of the body in the form of a roll in the metal though it did have a short cowl section between the fender and doors.  Because of this roll the doors are therefore not interchangeable 41-42 and after the war while the basic lower edge design remained constant, the addition of the D24 fenders sweeping into the doors came about.  Personally I like the pre 46 door and fender with the cowl area over the swept fender design of the D24.  

From your last picture it looks like you also need a rear window.  There was a thread on here recently “1946 Dodge Coupe Rear window” that discussed this.  Member DodgeB4ya said that rear glass from all Mopar 3 window coupes from 1941-1948 will interchange.

8 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

That is a business coupe. There never was a back seat.

Hi Knuckleharley, you are correct but I'm wondering if he was referring to a rear seat or the front seat backrest. Would a front seat from a "42 Dodge two door sedan work in a business coupe as well? If so, that would narrow down a parts search slightly.

John R

The 3 window coupe bodies behind the cowl were basically the same from 1941-1948 for Chrysler,Desoto and Dodge.  As already pointed out, the 46-48 doors do not interchange with the earlier cars, but the body shells and glass is the same.  I would think that the seats would interchange also.  Perhaps someone with access to Hollanders could check.  Also, since the wheelbase and width is the same as the sedans, it seems likely that those seats would fit also. 

And, Mr Classic Car Repair......did you check to see if there is a serial number stamped into the frame in the

left rear wheel area?  I presume Dodges had that feature......I know Plymouths do.  Those are neat looking

cars.

The car is still sitting in a field behind my shop.  I have not checked about any other serial number except that on the passenger front door pillar.  I could make a door, but that's a lot of work for now, just assessing what this is.  The entire front seat needs replaced, but that is not a worry.  If the curvature of the door window frame is the same, and the height and width of the door is the same as a 46, then to reskin and shape the drivers door would be much easier.  I will continue to seek a replacement the next few months before committing to a complete door manufacture.  I'm sure one will turn up.  I may place a Hemming's want-ad after more evaluation.

14 minutes ago, ClassicCarRepair said:

The car is still sitting in a field behind my shop.  I have not checked about any other serial number except that on the passenger front door pillar.  I could make a door, but that's a lot of work for now, just assessing what this is.  The entire front seat needs replaced, but that is not a worry.  If the curvature of the door window frame is the same, and the height and width of the door is the same as a 46, then to reskin and shape the drivers door would be much easier.  I will continue to seek a replacement the next few months before committing to a complete door manufacture.  I'm sure one will turn up.  I may place a Hemming's want-ad after more evaluation.

I suspect you'd be right that the 46-48 coupe door would be the same opening but different externally because of the fender into the door design. 

What I was basically suggesting was that the basic door shape was the same, or at least from the lower hinge up so that if need be a door from a later model could be used to at least fill the door opening then modified at either the lower or leading edge to what it should be............I'd be interested to see some pics of the various years, 1941, 1942 & 1946-1948 in the one post so that a direct comparision could be made......I don't doubt what people are saying, just would like visually to see the changes and learn...........regards, andyd   

I noticed the hood ornament and it was not cromed.  This is a blackout feature and the rest of the stainless steel trim could have been painted over in the past and someone might just have removed the paint.  These blackouts were almost a hosh posh of parts that were still around while manufacturing the blackouts.  I know on my car the door handles on one side are Crome plated and on the other sometype of plated material gray in color.  This truly is a rare car and if possible be restored to once it was.  Jon

80BBDB1E-9170-4976-AC05-A30B4DE7FF35.jpeg

61F8BE3C-BF74-4C3E-84F1-E81DC69C4828.jpeg

I'll have to look closer at that, but I think it was plated with something, but most of it has fallen off.  I agree it should be restored to original, but I'm not sure the car's value would permit this from a professional shop.  Maybe as an enthusiast project over  a couple of years?  KnuckleHarley's car is very nice, but to take this one to that condition would probably be at least a $20k investment on the low side.

Edited by ClassicCarRepair
Needed to add text

6 hours ago, ClassicCarRepair said:

' KnuckleHarley's car is very nice, but to take this one to that condition would probably be at least a $20k investment on the low side.

I wish. There is nothing even remotely nice about my car. It is a total basketcase. It wouldn't even be a good parts car for most people. None of the trim is worth having,the body and floors are rusted out,the front crossmember is rusted out,gas tank rusted out and held in with bailing wire because the straps are missing,trunk latch missing, and the otherwise nice original seat is torn from the previous owner storing sheet metal inside the car on top of the seat. The engine is stuck,too. Been sitting unstarted since around 1973 when the original owner got too old to drive it.

The frame may even be bent. I found out it had been hit hard on the left front at one time when I pulled the front clip. I'll find out for sure when/if I ever get around to pulling the body. I don't think it is,but you never know until you put strings on it.

It does have a very nice dash and steering wheel,and all the glasses are good,though.

If I figured my own labor rates at minimum wage,it wouldn't be worth fixing. Definitely not worth fixing if you have to  hire a pro shop to do the body and chassis repairs.

Still,looking for parts for it gave me something to do,and once I start in on the body work I will have plenty to do. I am going to do my level best to cut away and replace all the rust using body plastic only to fill grind marks and pits. I am not going to try to cut ANY corners rebuilding and putting it back together,other than the paint,which I plan on doing myself using a roller and rattle cans. I can't breathe well enough to use a respirator and spray gun. COPD. Have a new HVLP spray gun setup I bought before I got COPD that MIGHT be ok for me to use,but I'm not counting on it. If I can,I will. If I can't,it's rattle cans and rollers.

29 minutes ago, ClassicCarRepair said:

Sorry, KnuckleHarley I meant Reg Evans car.  He posted pictures here.  It looks very nice, above average from the pics I see of the outside.

Thanks C C Repair.  My car,"J-Lo" was restored about 10 years ago by a previous owner. I installed another 230 in it from a '48 Dodge cause the original D-22 engine was very tired. 

She's got a newish set of Diamondback radials and a dual exhaust system. She's a good clean driver.

c

17 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Plymouth body parts will not interchange....smaller body and chassis...

That's why I said "By just eyesight of the pictures". Would someone happen to have part numbers so that they could be looked up for interchange between different models and years?

Yes, that's the way I know it, as well.  I'm thinking this 3 window deserves a hero restoration.  I'm working the plan now.  

Brandon Sheehan

Automotive Restoration of Lubbock Texas

My mind is spinning after all of these replys to a simple post about this car.

I'm a purist, but know very few Dodge/Chrysler people.

Who would want it and is it worth it, only you can make the personal call to that fact.  It is worth the time and money if you think it is worth the time and money, just how does this car speak to you and your builder/creative side?   A 42 does share a bit of history in the old car world due to cease of all production.  The sad part is the cost of building a points car is often greater than the money anyone can recover should a life event force the sell.  Getting your ahead around that part with self approval is job one.  

40 minutes ago, ClassicCarRepair said:

If I want to see it restored as it should be, I will have to buy it.  Is it worth my time because it is a Victory build?  Still thinking on it...

Only you can answer that question.

It's worth your time and money if you think it's worth your time and money. If you don't,let someone else buy it who does think that.

Since I will never sell my 51 Ford or my 42 Dodge business coupes as long as I am able or even think I will become able to drive them,it makes no difference at all that by the time I get through with them I couldn't get my money back out of either if I pointed a gun at potential buyers. It's not and never was about potential profit,impressing anyone else,or anything other than my love of the cars.

Then again,I have never really had any real respect for money. It's just a tool you need to get through life.  After all,it's only good because you can buy things with it.

I had a very wise SGM (then again,ain't they all?) explain the reality of life to me one night when we were sharing Group Duty at the 3rd SFG headquarters at Bragg in the mid-60's.  I was whining because I had a new car out in the parking lot that I never got to drive because I was always being sent somewhere on 30 day field training exercises or to some sort of school. He told me the prime thing to keep in mind in life is that  "If you can't bleep it,eat it,wear it,or work with it,no matter how nice it is,it is extra and you really don't need it."

All these years later,I still have a  hard time picking holes in that.

My project cars are not something I need to live my life. I only own them because they please ME,and I honestly don't give a damn if anyone else likes them or not. Lots of the locals think I'm nuts because I refuse to drive my rusty 51 Ford in bad weather and tell them "that's why I bought the new truck, I can drive junk like that around when it's wet because I don't care what happens to it." I really do mean that,too. The new truck is just a tool. The old coupes are a joy.

• Like 2

My grandfather was a rather wealthy man who enjoyed his resources, but he also established a trust fund for the orphanages in a mid-western state, just because he could, and he because wanted to (it still exists). He loaned money to friends who he know would never be able to pay it back.  I remember when I was a kid he once told me that “money is like manure, it does no one any good until it’s spread around”. Thx.

Edited by DrDoctor
  • Like 3

I like that quote.  It reminds me of my customer who is a retired surgeon, telling me his thoughts about his 1921 Buick Touring,  "I'm spending alot of my kid's inheritance on this Mona Lisa, because someday one of my grandchildren will realize that this car is alot more interesting than a cell phone or video game.  My kids are still fuming about it."  That's my kind of man!

• Like 3

I always tell friends and family that if they choose to give me a present for Christmas or my birthday that if I can't eat it, drink it, or read it, they are giving me something I don't need or want. I already have enough stuff to wonder about where it will go when I go. :lol:

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 2