wiring

so im looking into getting my lights up and running, they worked once. since then i havent been able to get them on. i pulled a headlight today and i have 6 volts with high beam and low beam in the plug without the headlight plugged in, when i bench test the headlight it works so im stumped. all dash lights are the same way. i have nothing for the fuel sender and have no taillights yet so i cant test them. truck does run ammeter twitches with the key and all wires are tight. i have two disconnected wires under dash that were taped up so i know lights worked without them hooked up. any help is much appreciated im not too familiar with positive ground or 6 volt systems but it seems pretty cut and dry.

edit: just realized i forgot to mention voltage at the plug drops to 0 when bulbs are plugged in

Edited by seanpt105

the plug that goes to the headlight? that should be standard auto store parts. The little pigtail that goes to the parking light I'm not aware of a source

not the headlight connector but the one that is inside the headlight bucket that goes through the fender its a twist one like a light bulb i cleaned up the contacts but they still dont work well. i think im going to replace them with weathertite bullet connectors. only thing i cant figure out now is the marker lights arent on when the headlights are on, when you pull the headlight switch 1 click markers come on when i fully engage it they shut off and headlights come on is that normal?

10 hours ago, seanpt105 said:

not the headlight connector but the one that is inside the headlight bucket that goes through the fender its a twist one like a light bulb i cleaned up the contacts but they still dont work well. i think im going to replace them with weathertite bullet connectors. only thing i cant figure out now is the marker lights arent on when the headlights are on, when you pull the headlight switch 1 click markers come on when i fully engage it they shut off and headlights come on is that normal?

yes you get one or the other when wired stock

ok thanks, my switch is bad now every 30 pulls they randomly come on. truck sat for awhile outside and windshield leaked so im assuming its full of rust. hard switch to find it only has one taillight all the ones i see are for cars with 2 taillights or they have a dimmer built in i have separate panel light switch so i dont know why id need a dimmer.

yea i think im going to get all 3 switches, the panel switch fell apart and the spot for the taillights on the headlight switch is busted off, and the dimmer is sticky sometimes. anyone know a good place to get a headlight switch? i only have 1 taillight all the ones i keep seeing have a rotary dimmer and a spot for 2 taillights.