Uh-oh! Snapped off rear upper shock mount! 1948 Dodge

ebruns1

Hey Fellas,

We spent yesterday in my buddies garage working on the new 1948 Dodge project.  It seems like you never get as much accomplished as you hope for!  One step forward two steps back.  Anyway we did manage to cut out the rusted exhaust pipe from the muffler on back.  The front half seems ok and so does the muffler but a lot of acorns and fell out when we got the tailpipe torched off!  I hope the muffler is not plugged up with mouse nests!  What are my chances on re-using it?  Also, we did manage to replace 3 of the four shocks.  The fronts came out nice and easy, but the rear passenger upper shock mount threads snapped off when we tried to loosen the bolt.  We got the rest of it unbolted from the frame.  I checked on Roberts and Bernbaum and they do not have it on their web site.  Does anyone have a source or know where I can find a workable substitute mount?  Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks

22 minutes ago, ebruns1 said:

Thanks Ed, but it's a car not a truck.  Sold the truck years ago.  I"ll check with them anyway though, maybe it is the same?

It's entirely possible. I can't picture what the rear uppers on a car look like though.

OK, went to the garage and pickup up the remains of the upper shock mount and it is NOT the same as the one on the DCM site for a pickup truck.  Any leads on sourcing a replacement rear upper shock mount appreciated.  Any suggestions for other options?  Bolt and sleeve maybe?  What else can I do?  As long as it works it doesn't have to be stock oem, this in not a show car.  Thanks

Here's a pic of the broken rear upper shock mount minus the threads on the shock side that snapped off when we tried to remove it.  Would a Grade 5 bolt work or would it snap off from the stress after awhile?  I know of a local guy parting out a 47 Plymouth, maybe they share the same mounts and I can grab one from him.

20180330_074221_resized.jpg

20180330_074305_resized.jpg

I believe when I broke one of those on Dads 54 ply we ground the end flat, then drilled and tapped it for a bolt. Since the rest of yours looks solid I bet you could do that too. 

• Like 1

Ebruns1...... you make me nervous.  I snapped off my lower mount on my 49 chrysler....and haven't attempted the top mount yet.  What did you do? Out of curiosity... just in case?

raylloyd - I sent you a PM.  Thank you for checking your stash!

49 wind - I think my mechanic buddy got a little overzealous trying to remove the nut.  He applied heat and then a LOT of torque! 

61spit - interesting repair kit.  If I can't locate a replacement mount I will check into that. 

My buddy parting the Plymouth so far has not had luck removing the mount, although he is cutting up most of the car and is going to try and cut the frame at the bolt to remove it.  Hopefully the threads are still ok and not rusted beyond re-using.  It has coil-over shocks on it for some reason and it looks pretty rusty...

Jim

ebruns1- I lucked out. Got brave tonight and attempted to loosen the top shock mount bolts.  And they loosened right up.   One side the nut had to cut through the rust. But it came off pretty decently.  The bottom shock mount on the passenger side.  The nut striped on the bolt.  So I had to cut it off too. Now I'm stuck again.  Gonna have to drill it out.  

Good luck finding your top mounts!!!

20180406_212154.jpg