Chevy Parts in a Mopar Flathead

I've heard of people taking valves out of say a Chevy 327 and installing them into a 230 or 251 Mopar flat head engine. 

But then I always come back to, why?  Why...when you can buy new parts for any of these flat head sixes for very low cost to begin with and furthermore, you know exactly what your getting when buying new. 

Nothing worse than ruining a Mopar flat head engine, or even worse yet removing the Mopar sodium valves,  putting in non-hardened valves from a Chevy 327 into a Mopar flat head six that already had them installed in the first place. 

• Like 1

What Chevrolet (designed) pistons will fit a Chrysler flathead? 

I started with Chevy-designed valves for my 230, but they were made by ...SBN, ? Can't remember. Only because the Chrysler design valve guides made by the same company (and others) were too big of an ID, resulting in more clearance than I liked. So I started with Chevy design valves with thicker stems, but had to machine the hell outta them to shape the length, stem recesses, and seating surfaces to be a Chrysler design. 

If I had to do it again, I would install bronze guides in the cast iron guides and keep the original valves. 

Whoa wait a min did I just read this correctly? I got a a lot comments when I said I was thinking or did use a s10 frame on our 46 rat rod which is understandable and I agree on some points but isn't this the same thing? Little or big part isn't it the same thing? Sorry just wondering?

On 3/23/2018 at 6:54 PM, Dozerman51 said:

So what are the advantages of installing Chevy Pistons and Valves in a Mopar Flathead. Is the installation of these really worth it ? Count me in as a “Mopar or Nocar”. 

Pistons are a modern design and use modern rings.  They just happen to also fit a Chevy

Once the engine is assembled, nobody would ever know, unlike an S10 frame swap.

• Like 1