Shock absorbers

belvedere666

Is that picture one of the specific shock or a generic picture as both look way to long for a front 39-54 shock although the bottom one  looks like maybe the right length for a rear shock......those shocks with the external fixed coil springs are what I'd term a "helper" or shock used primarily on the rear when towing or on a car with sagging rear springs.........even if they were the right length and the correct sized eyes they wouldn't be my 1st choice front or back..........andyd 

• Like 1

Installed on the rear, as shown they are often advertised as overload shocks.  It was a very common practice to install these in days past as a means to give a bit of ass-high profile to a car.   Usually smaller foreign sport cars only get such treatment for front application by design

• Like 1

I've seen where the shock mounting bolts break after using those after awhile....that might have been just because of age or the springs on the shock were just too stiff and added too much stress.

• Like 1

how many here have actually seen upper shock mounts broken out in even a rusty ole car...the one I just parted out that broke across the door opening when I laid my body across the threshold to remove dash component broke but the upper and lower mounts were still pristine...and the rear ALWAYS had coil overs from the factory...

I’ve seen these come up as options for my car all over the Internet. I know well enough to not fully trust the internet. Haha.

i was really just interested in seeing if they would improve the ride. I assume they were a stiffer shock because of the spring assist....

but if there was a shorter one, in theory, would it keep a lowered car a little more stable?

I’m using Aerostar springs with a relocated spring pocket/control arm.

36 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

no experience with the trucks...but I take it they break even IF YOU DO NOT have overload springs attached...

well they are trucks. Back in the day overload was the meaning of owning a truck! However yes truthfully it's a bad design that is prone to collecting dirt leading to rust and then breakage. 

If you have saggy rear springs - I’d replace them. These overload springs are as you know a band aid and as others said here - will over stress the shock mountings on the rear. But its your car/truck do what you feel best.

1 hour ago, Dartgame said:

If you have saggy rear springs - I’d replace them. These overload springs are as you know a band aid and as others said here - will over stress the shock mountings on the rear. But its your car/truck do what you feel best.

My rear springs were de-arched and in good shape, and my car is sitting on new Aerostar springs up front.

im not worried about the springs

i was wondering about the reason these keep coming up as an option for my car when i search for shocks.

i figured if they keep coming up, then people probably  use them.

if anyone has used them, what results have they seen?

“shock mounts breaking” and “ass high profile” are the results Commented so far.

ive gone ahead and just purchased the  Monroe 5752 and 31000.

Has anyone had much success pulling their rear shocks and finding a modern mass produced match, by dimension? I’m thinking if I look for shocks for a 1953 Chrysler I see pretty expensive options.