Master cylinder replacement quality

Thomba48

Just checking on the master cylinder front. The prices on ebay range from 90 to literally 250 USD. Is there a quality difference that I should care for, after all it is quite an important part :-)
Thanks for your enlightenment. 

Hard to say off eBay. The “stores” on eBay source their stuff from who knows where. Sth America, China - buy in bulk then turn it. 

I’ve tried to stick with companies that have their own long standing company and website. Like Bernbaum, power wagon, Roberts. Not saying they ain’t getting their stuff from the same but l feel they are in a better position to stand behind it. 

For brake cylinders I’ve seen it mentioned on here a company called White Dove I think. But they are said to do really well. Resleeve your original with stainless. Gotta pay though. Maybe someone who knows about them will chime in. 

I think the company you are talking about is White Post Auto Restoration

in White Post, Virginia. They've been doing that for years. Great quality work.

Pricey but not as much as rear ending someone with your prize Plymouth

because you put Chinese brakes on it!

Thomba, unless there is something major wrong with the master cylinder thats on your car at present then I'd be getting it resleeved in either brass or stainless steel as then it should not ever need to be done again due to corrosion.........this has been a standard procedure here in Australia for at least 45 yrs or more as when I 1st started to restore my 1940 Dodge Sedan in 1972 I had the brakes resleeved by the local brake company and just used standard sized master cylinder and brake cylinder rebuild kits that had new pistons, seals etc...........there would be companies in Germany and certainly the UK that would do this procedure the only possible issue maybe ensuring that the ID of the sleeve they use is an Imperial size NOT METRIC as the piston & seals are made to suit the original, Imperial sizing..........those companies that are mentioned in the USA would obviously have not heard of the mongrel Metric system......lol......................always work on the premise that you have 2 FEET at the end of your legs NOT 2 Metres.................lol.........regards, Andyd 

Edited by Andydodge
info
  • Like 2