Who Is Actually Driving Their Vintage Mopars?

55 Fargo

Have had my '47 P15 since 1973.  Gets driven occasionally.  Engine is a 1957 model flathead 6 and still have 6V

electrical system.  Drives better nowadays since installing a set of www radials.  Has new paint, new top and new

interior following our big tornado in 2011.  

Miami%20OK%20show%2010-17-10%20069[1].jpg

January2011328[1].jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, tom'sB2B said:

Adrian

I noticed you live in Blaye, France. I look forward to seeing photos of that Chrysler among the rolling vineyards and maybe the citadel. That is an elegant car!

I will take some for you tom :) 

The owner of this 47 Ply. bus. cpe in my garage (a good friend) keeps asking what is the difference between a bus. cpe. and the club cpe.

Some pictures for his comparison Dr would possibly answer his question. Pictures please!

Thanks for your response.

DJ for Ken.

1 minute ago, DJ194950 said:

The owner of this 47 Ply. bus. cpe in my garage (a good friend) keeps asking what is the difference between a bus. cpe. and the club cpe.

Some pictures for his comparison Dr would possibly answer his question. Pictures please!

Thanks for your response.

DJ for Ken.

I don't have pictures but bus coupe has shorter roof no back seat and fixed rear windows. 

33 minutes ago, DrDoctor said:

We drive our ’46 Plymouth Club Coupe, altho’ I don’t really enjoy it too much anymore. As such, it gets driven a lot less than previously. Now it’s just taking up valuable real estate in the garage.

What else would the real estate in your garage be doing if it weren't there?

The view on my way home today. Once the heat returns, the smog from the bay flows into this valley which is surrounded on three sides by mountains, thus the air is trapped and the view of the mountains is gone.

IMG_2576.JPG

Hey there, DJ194950,

The Club Coupe has a rear seat, and the roof/turret-top is longer (from the windshield to the rear sight (the very back glass), as are the quarter-windows,  is therefore longer to accommodate the additional space in the interior. That makes the area behind the top shorter than that of the Business Coupe, since that doesn’t have the rear seat, but a lengthier trunk instead. The wheelbase of both coupes is the same.

image.png.deb901de79007c25cbf127ea1cb3d6ca.png

The photograph of the coupe with the red wires wheels is ours (the black streak beneath it isn’t from the car—it’s water from hosing off the garage floor).

image.png.fba31220a00f0bf4bd4f8d59d59da014.png

1949 Plymouth Club Coupe (above).

image.png.f198d22d5782b9dfb6f00e205df0bd17.png

1946 Plymouth Business Coupe (above).

Warmest regards . . . .

Edited by DrDoctor

1 hour ago, tom'sB2B said:

Do the rear windows on the club coup roll down? I’m wondering if it’s similar to the two door sedan

236DA206-9053-4AC9-9C72-5DBA5E1C5CE1.jpeg

Yes. It's the business coupe that has the fixed windows.

This is the video of the first test drive of my chrysler ^^ idle seated to high, allost dead battery ^^ not operating generator 

the car stall each tile i try to press accelerator so i play with the cluch a litlle bit too much but i wanna drive it to see if the fluid coupling work properly and the vacamatic shift work. He don’t haha

8 hours ago, Adrian41D-19 said:

This is the video of the first test drive of my chrysler ^^ idle seated to high, allost dead battery ^^ not operating generator 

the car stall each tile i try to press accelerator so i play with the cluch a litlle bit too much but i wanna drive it to see if the fluid coupling work properly and the vacamatic shift work. He don’t haha

C'est Bon Merci

16 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

Hey there, DJ194950,

The Club Coupe has a rear seat, and the roof/turret-top is longer (from the windshield to the rear sight (the very back glass), are the quarter-windows.  is therefore longer to accommodate the additional space in the interior. That makes the area behind the top shorter than that of the Business Coupe, since that doesn’t have the rear seat, but a lengthier trunk instead. The wheelbase of both coupes is the same.

image.png.deb901de79007c25cbf127ea1cb3d6ca.png

The photograph of the coupe with the red wires wheels is ours (the black streak beneath it isn’t from the car—it’s water from hosing off the garage floor).

image.png.fba31220a00f0bf4bd4f8d59d59da014.png

1949 Plymouth Club Coupe (above).

image.png.f198d22d5782b9dfb6f00e205df0bd17.png

1946 Plymouth Business Coupe (above).

Warmest regards . . . .

Thanks for the response Dr.

I will share this with him and hopefully answer all his questions at once. The comparison pictures close together really show the differences.

DJ

Just got back from bringing home the 46 WC. We had to dribble some gas into the carb to get it running but beyond that started right up and drove home without issue. Not too bad for something that was parked on 10-30. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Just got back from bringing home the 46 WC. We had to dribble some gas into the carb to get it running but beyond that started right up and drove home without issue. Not too bad for something that was parked on 10-30. 

Any time you can just start one up and drive it home,it's a victory.

51 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Any time you can just start one up and drive it home,it's a victory.

I used to think that way.......now it is just matter of fact. These are great old vehicles and can be used just like something much newer if they are put together properly. Honestly you don't be afraid to use them regularly.......it is not like they rely on a bunch of iffy electronics to stay on the road.

Jeff

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

I used to think that way.......now it is just matter of fact. These are great old vehicles and can be used just like something much newer if they are put together properly. Honestly you don't be afraid to use them regularly.......it is not like they rely on a bunch of iffy electronics to stay on the road.

Jeff

I honestly can't think of a thing I don't love about 30's to 60's cars. I love the way they look,the way the seats sit,their reliability and how easy they are to fix when something does go wrong.

Most of all,I love the big steering wheels with the stylish horn rights,the dashboards with all the attention to detail and the art deco look,and probably most of all,the way that mohair interior smells when the car has been sitting with the windows rolled up. It all brings back good memories.

For me,new stuff are just tools. I have a new truck because I live almost 70 miles from the closest VA hospital,and at times I have to drive there and back a couple of times a week. I also have it because I live up a dirt road and refuse to drive my old cars when it's raining and get caked up mud under them. Don't care if the mud cakes up on the new truck or not.  Being an Agent Orange vet,there are also times when I have infections and need to drive something with air-conditioning,so the new truck comes in handy for those times,too. I mostly just roll down the windows and drive the old ones in the summer,though.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I drive mine every 2 or 3 days,..car shows and to the local hardware store.  Always fun to get the thumps up  and comments like. "we had one of those when I was a kid."   About 35K miles since frame off and V8 engine install.  Second pic shows Granddaughters first drive in an old car.

IMG_6237_zpsbce85c1c.jpg

IMG_20170713_200324.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mrwrstory said:

I drive mine every 2 or 3 days,..car shows and to the local hardware store.  Always fun to get the thumps up  and comments like. "we had one of those when I was a kid."   About 35K miles since frame off and V8 engine install.  Second pic shows Granddaughters first drive in an old car.

IMG_6237_zpsbce85c1c.jpg

IMG_20170713_200324.jpg

Let's see,here. Very pretty young redheaded woman driving a old car.

Gee,I wonder if there will be any late teen/early 20's males developing a sudden interest in old cars?

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎25 at 2:33 PM, knuckleharley said:

IIRC,with the exception of Nevada and maybe 1 or two other western states,the national speed limit back then was 55 MPH.

I was driving on the highway one morning close to Spokane, Washington, ( around 1989), a clear spring day - was pulled over promptly because I had exceeded the then in force of a 55 mph speed limit and issued a ticket. No time was wasted in mailing a reminder to pay the fine in US dollars , by the time I arrived here at home in Alberta a few days later the letter was waiting for me in my mailbox.:) 

Out for a pre BBQ test drive today. Will put it on a lift on Tuesday for a full safety check, new rear shocks, and oil change then drive it up to the Sequoia Giant Redwood trees, a 6,000 ' climb in 35 miles, a great test. So stopped by this beautiful field of flowers for a picture. 

IMG_2593.JPG

• Like 3

On 3/22/2018 at 12:25 PM, Lloyd said:

You can turn it off in settings but beware. I first used it then decided I didn’t like it. When I shut it off all my contacts, phone numbers, pictures— everything was gone. Never to be seen again. Seems it stores all your stuff on the cloud and nothing on your phone. 

BTW Jeff, like your 52 and the fact that it’s your only ride I like even more. Don’t know why, just do. 

Another reason I prefer the Droid!  Every body I know with a iPhone has limited battery life and other issues...