Who Is Actually Driving Their Vintage Mopars?

55 Fargo

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:19 PM, knuckleharley said:

One of the scariest men to have ever lived,Groucho Marx. His tv show in the 50's was hysterically funny,and none of it was planned. He would invite idiots up from the audience to talk with him,and within a couple of minutes have them so confused they didn't even know who there were,never mind what they were saying,and his favorite audience members seemed to be young double-breasted blondes. Nobody knew what the magic word was that would get that duck to drop so they could win 50 bucks,so people said anything and everything. I was just a little kid,and even back then I was wondering how he got half that stuff past the censors.

I had an actual fear of running into Groucho somewhere when I was a kid,and having him start talking to me. My plan was to scream like a woman and run.

...AND...Desoto sponsored his show!  Not old enough to have seen it "live", but the reruns are a hoot!

2 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

...AND...Desoto sponsored his show!  Not old enough to have seen it "live", but the reruns are a hoot!

Oh yeah.......I remember seeing an episode with Candace Bergen when she was in her teens and boy was that funny .....and did she turn red! Gotta love Groucho

Groucho,  "Say the secret word and win a hundred dollars!"

we watch him religiously! No one like that generation of entertainers! Groucho was like Trump, he could ask an unorthodox question and screw up a persons mind in a few seconds.

I watched Johnny Carson live, every M - F, a 90 minute show. Been there! 

37 minutes ago, pflaming said:

we watch him religiously! No one like that generation of entertainers! Groucho was like Trump, he could ask an unorthodox question and screw up a persons mind in a few seconds.

Yes Groucho and the Marx brothers were great.

No politics please Paul as not to offend anyone.

My 39 gets driven whenever I can,  including winter, as long as roads are dry.  Trying to get lost on south west Pennsylvania's back roads is the most fun.  This shot was taken in the thriving village of Ten Mile, named for the creek the bridge spans.  

brian b

DSCN1486.JPG

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

Then you are familiar with the Buddy Hackett and Johnathan Winters appearances. Absolutely hysterical. You could look at Buddy Hackett's eyes and see a mischievous 8 year old with a VERY "dirty" imagination peeking out and dying to be set free.

One of my favorite Carson shows had him doing a long monologue,and apologizing for it at the end and justifying it by explaining "My guests tonight are Johnathan Winters and Robin Williams,so I know I won't have a chance to speak another word tonight once they come on."

And he was right. For all practical purposes he was just an audience member sitting on the stage,and laughing as hard as everyone else.

Edited by knuckleharley

3 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

https://youtu.be/aFX3m4BMmjw

Here you guys went for about a 1/2 hour highway drive this morning.

Hills and curves don't seem to be a major concern of yours.

I do believe you could use a overdrive,though.

My B1B is pretty much my daily driver all year long unless I have to go to Tucson or farther on the Interstate. The '49 is dead nuts reliable but gas mileage would kill me so I take my '94 Mazda truck. I pretty much always stay local so I drive my '49. Getting behind the wheel and driving it never fails to put a huge smile on my face. 

John

Edited by John Rogers

Mine is a rolling restoration. In other words, I had enough money to get it drivable, but not enough to paint and upholster. That being said, I drive mine at least a couple of times a week around town or to work and back.

Joe Lee

48 07.jpg

Edited by soth122003
  • Like 3

Just now, soth122003 said:

Mine is a rolling restoration. In other words, I had enough money to get it drivable, but not enough to paint and upholster. That being said, I drive mine at least a couple of times a week around town or to work and back.

Joe Lee

48 07.jpg

I find those are the best cars! My car and truck are basically the same although I do have redone seats and mostly DIY interiors. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Hills and curves don't seem to be a major concern of yours.

I do believe you could use a overdrive,though.

Nah dont need overdrive with 3.23 gearing.

Sorry would not be good.

3.55 is a minimum i would go on an Overdrive. 3.73s would be great.

Im at 2450 rpm at 60 mph 2700 at 70 mph perfect RPM band.

Now if my goal was for cruising 70 to 80 mph then yes.

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

Then you are familiar with the Buddy Hackett and Johnathan Winters appearances. Absolutely hysterical

Oh yes, and Flip Wilson "Here com da Judge",  I saw Red Skelton on a $2.00 cover change stage in Las Vegas in 1958.  

The humor then was was always directed at themselves! 

3 hours ago, brian b said:

My 39 gets driven whenever I can,  including winter, as long as roads are dry.  Trying to get lost on south west Pennsylvania's back roads is the most fun.  This shot was taken in the thriving village of Ten Mile, named for the creek the bridge spans.  

brian b

DSCN1486.JPG

Trying to get lost on back roads is a LOT more fun in this day of cell phone GPS and driving directions than it used to be.

I get what you are saying,though. My favorite cruising is around 35 mph on back roads as I just ride along and enjoy the view.

• Like 3

Kinda hard to get lost on a country road where I live as long as you you have an idea what time of day it is, (it would be really difficult to make a wrong turn - no GPS required). It is an enjoyable time spent driving,touring without the traffic, although sometimes you may have to backtrack because the road suddenly ends....:)   

Edited by T120

I'm a fair weather driver. The '36 was stored inside an old garage from 1957 thru 2005, and hasn't been wet in 60 years.  The '49 is a 40 year old restoration and leaks in lots of annoying little places in the rain. I just drove it today, and now it's in for an oil change.

DSC02405.jpeg

DSC08551.jpeg

• Like 3

The ‘50 Deluxe is still hibernating in the garage, but will probably wake her up next weekend.  I usually drive the car, city and highway driving, 3-4 times a week in the summer months (last year I drove right up until December), and after a full mechanical inspection in a couple of weeks,  am hoping to take some longer trips this summer.  The car is mostly original with new radial tires, new brakes, and some minor new wiring and has just over 41000 miles on it. 

1936 was a very good styling year for everybody.

• Like 2

Hello,

I just drove my 48 Plymouth to the Glendale Elks Car show last Sunday. It was a 45 Min drive, She worked Great! And after 35yrs of ownership she still gets a award.

48 Glendale Elks car show.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ernie Baily said:

Hello,

I just drove my 48 Plymouth to the Glendale Elks Car show last Sunday. It was a 45 Min drive, She worked Great! And after 35yrs of ownership she still gets a award.

48 Glendale Elks car show.JPG

Looks good,and I see they parked you between a couple of "toney" modern cars. Frankly,I'm kind of disappointed the guy leaning over the Porsche doesn't have a sweather tied around his neck. He's practically "out of uniform".

Yes thanks to everyone for making this a great and interesting thread.

I just had an idea to see who's driving what, and how they enjoy them.

Please keep the pics, vids and stories coming.

In 1956, I bought a '36 Plymouth coupe almost identical to the one pictured here. Mine was a rumble seat model and cost $25.00 Also pictured are my present vintage '67  Plymouth Furys. Not as vintage as most listed here but they are 50+ years old. I use them year round unless there is heavy rain or of course, salted roads.

John R

36 nice coupe.jpeg

green fury 4.JPG

• Like 3