Who Is Actually Driving Their Vintage Mopars?

55 Fargo

22 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

It was a nice sunny day today... took my pick up for a drive in the warming sun......

B3D Sky valley Drive January 26 2019 (16).JPGSpring is around the corner!

B3D Sky valley Drive January 26 2019 (24).JPG

B3D Sky valley Drive January 26 2019 (48).JPG

Dang that looks fun!  That'll be me this summer. ?

The '47 Desoto is the family car.  I drive it some weeks daily and some weeks one or two times.  If we need to go big time shopping it goes.  If we need to run to our place out of town, it goes.  If there is an old car event and it is raining and everyone else is bitching about getting their cars wet, it goes.

Try parallel parking the 139.5 inch wheelbase car on a steep hill here in San Francisco on a one way street on the left side!  Once you master that, you can drive anything and park anything in bust traffic!

Desoto_small.jpg

• Like 5

Drive my 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe most every weekend when the weather permits. Won't drive it in the rain as the vacuum wiper motor doesn't work that well, and needs lubed up. Don't like rain on it anyhow...It's got the original 218 flatty, dual B&B carbs on an Offenhauser intake. It runs great!

DSC01755.jpg

• Like 3

I have been driving my 1950 Special Deluxe every day for the last week.  I have more cars than drivers so I rotate through the fleet so they all get exercised every couple of weeks.  Here it is sitting in the parking lot at work.  One of these is not like the others, can you pick out the vintage Plymouth?  :rolleyes:

Plymouth Jan 30 2019.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jgreg53 said:

How did it do in the snow?

Mostly the roads are clear.  I have a longer snow covered driveway than what you see here by my garage and there's other areas that are fully snow-covered, and the car did just fine on those areas. But I have driven it on the snow and ice before and it has done better than any rear-wheel-drive I had ever owned before, and I have owned a lot of cars in my life. Like more than 50 of them, most being rear wheel drive.  The fluid drive really helps to keep it from slipping. 

Jan 31:

-33F This morning. Not with the wind chill, but straight -33F.  ? No block heater, no battery blanket.  I did not bring the coil wire into the house or anything.  My garage is not insulated.  Full choke, 3 pumps.  The Meadowbrook started up on the second crank of the engine if you can believe that!  I would never believe it myself if it hadn't happened to me this morning.  This is as cold as I've ever seen it here in Southeastern Minnesota.  The heater worked great, and I had ZERO problems to work and back.  A number of my co-workers had many problems with their vehicles, including one whose brand new Chevy traverse would not start this morning.  So much for modern technology.  Everybody should own an old Dodge! ?

The car ran about 160 degrees at 55 miles an hour. At idle it would warm up to 180° which is what my thermostat is.  I truly put that Evan's waterless coolant to the test, and it did not disappoint. At least I knew the block wouldn't crack because there's no water in it. 

Pic: under the I-90 bridge on the way home.

IMG_20190131_113555057_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kd1975 said:

I kinda feel the same way about you guys .... :)

We're on the 'right' side of the car mate...?

1 minute ago, kd1975 said:

Aren’t you on the ‘left’ side of the car? ?

Only when I'm the passenger.

Hey...........KD, where are you in Oz.............would be nice if we could all get together sometime..............I haven't killed any brain cells since...........err....not sure actually.......lol...maybe one too many........lol..........BTW Maok, I had a look at your website.....very impressive, I haven't heard anything from the HAMB tho'..........looking at the pics with all the snow makes us here in Oz really appreciate how good we have things..........andyd.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tundrajax said:

I drive my 55 Plymouth plaza 230 3 on the tree on the regular basis when it's not snowing. Right now it's in the garage getting wishing for warmer weather.

We had the hottest day on record in my home town last week...... 46.2° C (about 115° Fahrenheit)

8 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Jan 31:

-33F This morning. Not with the wind chill, but straight -33F.  ? No block heater, no battery blanket.  

And driving it on the hiway to work and back. In an early 50’s Mopar. That’s pushing the envelope. ? But I like it. Many people wouldn’t attempt it. Too cold. Too risky. 

This story reminds me. I need to fix my heater valve. Siezed solid. I’ve got just the thing in mind too for a replacement. Maybe I’ll get in there next week and wrap up the AM radio rebuild. Its back  in and working again. Just have a few fasteners left to tighten. Then its time to get into the heater valve!

Edited by keithb7

I took her out for a date on Christmas day. Very little snow. That rarely happens around here.  I had no heat. Need to get into the siezed water valve.

Was a fine drive though. I was as proud as a peacock as I toured my neighborhood that day. Felt good after I rolled back into the garage. Hit the button to close the door, the old girl in her warm accomodations again.  I walked back in the house to music, family and the smell of a roasting turkey. 

One of the greatest 10 minute drives ever. 

D7DB83DF-75C9-4896-8424-6F3E72058AC1.jpeg

• Like 2