Who Is Actually Driving Their Vintage Mopars?

55 Fargo

11 hours ago, pflaming said:

There are not too many of us who would recognize that milking machine. It was mfg'd by Surge and hung under the cows belly from a belt placed around the cow. Dad had two of these. My older bro and I milked up to thirty cows twice a day, wthe such, circa 1951 - 1957. Then we separated out the cream ,sent and sold to butter creameries, and I fed the fat free milk to the small young calves. 

I'm not so sure the unit pictured is a strap on unit - but I understand the sentiment.

I'm probably one of the few guys in the country of my age (other than Amish) that can say they've milked in can and used a water bath chiller for milk. I'm only 36 years old. lol

I grew up on a dairy farm milking 3 times a day with registered Brown Swiss. We were also quite active on the show scene on a national level. In fact my uncle just had Grand Champion Brown Swiss at the World Dairy Expo in Madison Wisconsin last fall. I've traveled the country with cows and milked with portable units all my life for the show string and for transport across the country.

12 hours ago, pflaming said:

There are not too many of us who would recognize that milking machine. It was mfg'd by Surge and hung under the cows belly from a belt placed around the cow. Dad had two of these. My older bro and I milked up to thirty cows twice a day, wthe such, circa 1951 - 1957. Then we separated out the cream ,sent and sold to butter creameries, and I fed the fat free milk to the small young calves. 

Paul the old tyme mixed farm is dead and gone 40 to 50 years ago.

On 4/2/2018 at 3:13 AM, DrDoctor said:

Where we live, the state speed limit is still 55MPH!!! That's fine for older cars, but with newer ones - it sucks!!! But, when you take into consideration the congestion around here, I'll have to admit to being less-than-enthused about driving any faster. It's also one of the reasons why our '46 Plymouth is transforming into yard-art, and taking up valuable real estate in my garage. I've got to come up with a plan, and soon . . . . .

I have some old usa road map of 40 and 41, it said speed limit 55mph on all the rods except specification lol

Drive my '50 P-20 sedan at least twice a week...even though the flathead 6 is a bit tired, it still runs well enough to drive regularly. With the overdrive R-10 (from a '52) it keeps up with modern traffic just fine.   Very tempted to swap in a '53 Desoto Hemi that I found, but am procrastinating...I'd rather drive it as is than relegate it to a "work in progress"!

1 hour ago, st63 said:

Very tempted to swap in a '53 Desoto Hemi that I found, but am procrastinating...I'd rather drive it as is than relegate it to a "work in progress"!

VERY clear thinking!

My motto these days is "If it ain't broke,don't fix it!"

• Like 2

A 53 DeSoto hemi engine is no real powerhouse... it's got patina and curiosity though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

A 53 DeSoto hemi engine is no real powerhouse... it's got patina and curiosity though.

Definitely not compared to newer V-8s....but at about 180 horses (with a new intake and 4bl carb) it's basically double the flathead 6!

A 1953 DeSoto V-8 puts out a max of 160HP.

18 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

A 1953 DeSoto V-8 puts out a max of 160HP.

Stock yes....but I was going to have it rebuilt with, among other work,  a new "Hi-rise" intake and new 4 bl carb from "Hot Heads" in NC.... good for another 20 or so horses.  Again, that's a "some day" project...I'm enjoying driving it as is for now.  Heres' an interesting link to a build on one of those early Desoto 276's...they got about 250 hp out of it....though I don't want to imagine the cost!

https://www.classiccarrestorationclub.com/article/new-life-old-hemi/     

Edited by st63

Just bought this 39 DeSoto a few weeks ago from Washington state. Had it delivered to San Francisco. Drive it almost every day. Need to adjust the emergency brake a bit but other than that, it’s a great driver. Nick

040C11BA-0ECD-46A3-A8CB-10356F1147A1.jpeg

• Like 11

On 5/5/2018 at 1:57 PM, st63 said:

...I'd rather drive it as is than relegate it to a "work in progress"!

I think I read it here

"a vehicle in motion tends to stay in motion,

a vehicle in parts tends to stay in parts"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

I took this old buggy "Gussie" out for a ride over to my brothers house the other day. 12 hilly miles each way.

33 Plymouth at Brad's.jpg

Has the top been filled in,or is it just the angle of the photo that makes it look filled?

No, It has the original soft top.  The roof is very dusty which is blending the 2 materials together.  I've added dual horns now and a rear trunk.

1 33 plym 3.jpg

Edited by Reg Evans
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Reg Evans said:

No, It has the original soft top.  The roof is very dusty which is blending the 2 materials together.

1 33 plym 3.jpg

Cool! There ain't that many original 33's left around,and it's good to see one. IMNSHO,1933 was the best styling year ever for Mopar,and yours seems to be one of the finest examples of an original one I have ever seen.

Oh thanks Knuckleharley !  I've always liked this year too.  My first car as a high school kid in 1966 was one just like this one.  I had been looking for it or one like it for more than 40 years and finally found one on Craigslist out of Spokane, Washington.  The seller had owned the car since 1958 and I got the car with the old tires he purchased way back then.  Complete with whitewall paint.  Here's a photo of my first '33 Plym.

Myfirstcarin6633Ply-1.jpg

• Like 3

Nice cars all of them. I am partial to the 33-34 Plymouths and drive an old coupe regularly. That 30 Desoto is special. Desoto had a way to make a car look like it was moving fast when it was just sitting still.

• 1 month later...

I am back driving mine after a 9 year engine rebuild, overdrive install and disc brake conversion. Have tooled around town a bit this spring but this past week it was 4 hours at highway speeds to the city....and 4 hours back at highway speeds. Kill ed a few bugs : ) ........and have some bugs to still work out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KKAnB9zpfhKhLfGN6

Edited by laynrubber
  • Like 1

Drove my 48 as a daily driver for about 6 years before a ring gear swap and work travel schedule caused it to sit for about 18 months. Sold it a couple years ago and it is now in Florida. Handled the Dallas traffic just fine with the 230 and OD. With the wing windows and cowl vent the Dallas summers were somewhat bearable. Made multiple trips to the HAMB Drags in Joplin, MO about an 800 mile round trip each year. 

Now I have a new to me 37 with a 360/727 and A/C that is my daily driver. Without wing windows and the fact that I am getting soft, had to have the A/C.

190538-1275517414-7cd3eb734b90728452bf35d0320ca8d9.jpg

388880-1338008775-f88b30d420c5accacd6b5e95912761d6.jpg

Revised.jpg

• Like 2