Who Is Actually Driving Their Vintage Mopars?

55 Fargo

On 4/1/2018 at 3:59 PM, knuckleharley said:

Let's see,here. Very pretty young redheaded woman driving a old car.

Gee,I wonder if there will be any late teen/early 20's males developing a sudden interest in old cars?

Ahhh. A very clever way to save our hobby!  Hehe

Being that I had to stop working on my 1937, because of code enforcement issues...  I have been driving my 1969 Plymouth.  Burned 1 tank of gas in the past week.

7 minutes ago, classiccarjack said:

Being that I had to stop working on my 1937, because of code enforcement issues...  I have been driving my 1969 Plymouth.  Burned 1 tank of gas in the past week.

Code enforcement issues? Please elaborate so the rest of us will know what to be on the lookout for.

16 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Code enforcement issues? Please elaborate so the rest of us will know what to be on the lookout for.

I have a thread regarding this in the "off topic" part of the site.

• Like 1

Yes.  I took my '51 Imperial out this morning to run errands, and that sweet old Hemi runs like new.  She has about 60K on the odometer--probably accurate.

Love the old Mopars;  love the old Hemis.

Jon

• Like 2

Drive my P15 440 powered sedan to several shows or cruises weekly from mid April thru early Nov. 

Drive from Wales, WI (village 1/2 hour West of Milwaukee) to Back to the 50s (St. Paul, MN) every year for the last 20 years, made a trip to Tampa's Nats SE and Daytona Turkey Run on '02 (about 3200 miles with side trips along the way) and have been to the NSRA Nationals in Louisville and Nats North in Michigan. 

SedanDriving.jpg

GusCruiseRaiin.jpg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, jyinger said:

Yes.  I took my '51 Imperial out this morning to run errands, and that sweet old Hemi runs like new.  She has about 60K on the odometer--probably accurate.

Love the old Mopars;  love the old Hemis.

Jon

The early Hemi's are so very smooth and quiet.  I love these engines!  That's why I own a few.  

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:29 PM, Wayf 51 said:

Meet Horace, 1951 Wayfarer, fewer than 60,000 miles. Wonderful summer driver with the cowl vent and vent wings open. Who needs AC?

100_0654.JPG

Just the heater in these parts... 

• Like 1

I took my 10 year old and my three year old boys in my Plymouth today to a car show..  Both kids love this car!  

2 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

Back on the road after about 4 months of upgrades!

IMG_2476.JPG

55mph, 50 psi oil pressure, and running at about 190 degrees? Bury the needle with that Hemi....

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

I purchased this 1941 Royal from a gentleman in Yakima, WA in December 2016 and had it delivered to me in the Tampa area of Florida. I drove my 1941 Chrysler Royal from Tampa to Connecticut in May 2017. I drive it 2-3 days a week during the Spring, Summer, and Fall while I am in CT. When I attend car shows, it receives as much or more attention  than restored muscle cars. Once I get the issue of the FluidDrive not holding the high range shift (possibly lack of adequate vacuum), I want to drive it to Hemmings Motor News in Bennington , VT for one of their Thursday night cruises. The car is all original and sorted out just enough to keep it on the road. 

IMAG3123.jpg

IMAG3119.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

55mph, 50 psi oil pressure, and running at about 190 degrees? Bury the needle with that Hemi....

Actually, the fuel gauge and temp gauge are not reading all that accurate right now. Both too high because they are getting too much voltage. I tried the Runtz which only dropped it to around 11volts and the ballast resistor which dropped it to 13volts when the alternator is charging at 14. Gonna have to try something else.

I ran this weekend approximately 360 miles, flat roads, interstate, curvy rough back roads mostly at 50/55 mph, 175 temp, 45 psi oil pressure. I did that following six weeks of no problem driving to assure me all was well and dependable. Well, the miles the viabrations, etc. added up and I rode home the last 45 miles in the cab of a tow truck. Lesson learned, watch the details, I can fix the problem, because it is small, the problem is electrical, my weakest skill. 

The He challenge of an old vehical for an old man still trying to learn a new trick!!

IMG_2748.JPG

Edited by pflaming

Woke my P15 out of her winter's sleep yesterday.  Just a short trip to shake off the dust, but all seems good.  Going to the shop Wednesday for an oil & filter change, and a good look-see while it's on the rack.  These old bones don't like crawling on the garage floor anymore, so to the shop she goes!!

Edited by Oldguy48
added info

20 hours ago, pflaming said:

I ran this weekend approximately 360 miles, flat roads, interstate, curvy rough back roads mostly at 50/55 mph, 175 temp, 45 psi oil pressure. I did that following six weeks of no problem driving to assure me all was well and dependable. Well, the miles the viabrations, etc. added up and I rode home the last 45 miles in the cab of a tow truck. Lesson learned, watch the details, I can fix the problem, because it is small, the problem is electrical, my weakest skill. 

The He challenge of an old vehical for an old man still trying to learn a new trick!!

IMG_2748.JPG

Why?

22 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

Actually, the fuel gauge and temp gauge are not reading all that accurate right now. Both too high because they are getting too much voltage. I tried the Runtz which only dropped it to around 11volts and the ballast resistor which dropped it to 13volts when the alternator is charging at 14. Gonna have to try something else.

May not work for you......but when I changed over to 12 volts (from 6) and used a GM(ouch) I wire alternator on my other wise stock 46 truck, I read that many of the gauges on Mopar 12 volt vehicles used voltage reducers for the gauges. Located on the back side of the dash/gage panel using two spades to plug into the panel. Mine came from a 70's Aspen.

" Why? "  55 Spitfire? Why the problem.

At Tim's Don (gray/black truck) noted that my alternator did not have a solid mount and that it's wobble would eventually wear out its bushings. We concluded that the ride home should be OK, well it wasn't. I haven't checked it yet, but I think the wobble slightly loosened the fan belt and. . . . My AAA Premium Tow gives me two 200 miles tow to home, so it took me home. I put a charger on the battery for an hour and it immediately started. Such is the case. Like I said, small fixable set back. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a shake down cruise in my 46 WC. Story of what happened:

I'm pretty careful to store it with a full or close to full tank of fuel for winter. This spring it started hard-we had to poor a little fuel down the carb. Then it did start and drive home just fine. As I was driving I thought my fuel gauge had stopped working because it was reading so low. Last Saturday I wasn't sure how much gas was in it so I dumped in 2 gallons from a can and then drove up to the gas station and still put in 15.1. So my gauge was right! Then Sunday as I was driving it back from a club meeting it stalled as I was pulling into the garage. I coasted the last few feet. It would restart but not stay running or rev up. Today's investigation discovered no fuel. Turned out the rubber hose between the pump and the hard fuel line was cracked and nasty. So after 1.80 for a new length of hose(and spending 1/2 hour looking for the hose clamp that fell) I was back on the road. Hopefully I'll get another 18 years out of this new hose........... 

14 hours ago, JIPJOBXX said:

Of course I do but it’s not a new car and I drive accordingly so.  I drive it to Walmart sometimes and to local car shows where it always gets allot of attention.  Jon

E1173B84-19B3-4219-AD30-4B96F0D92CF0.jpeg

Whats with the milking unit beside the car? Someone mount a pulsator under the hood so you can milk a cow off of intake vacuum?

18 hours ago, HotRodTractor said:

Whats with the milking unit beside the car? Someone mount a pulsator under the hood so you can milk a cow off of intake vacuum?

There are not too many of us who would recognize that milking machine. It was mfg'd by Surge and hung under the cows belly from a belt placed around the cow. Dad had two of these. My older bro and I milked up to thirty cows twice a day, wthe such, circa 1951 - 1957. Then we separated out the cream ,sent and sold to butter creameries, and I fed the fat free milk to the small young calves.