Who Is Actually Driving Their Vintage Mopars?

55 Fargo

40 minutes ago, Tom Skinner said:

Drive mine also about 20 - 25 miles a week

IMG_0374.jpg

I'm betting that driving it is a lot more fun than trying to find a place big enough to park it.

5 hours ago, Tom Skinner said:

Drive mine also about 20 - 25 miles a week

IMG_0374.jpg

I like the color, styling and size. What a beauty. One I’d surely drive on a regular basis too. What size engine did these have?

Edited by keithb7
  • Thanks 1

I had my ‘53 265 CI 25” equipped Windsor on the freeway yesterday. The spec is 119 HP. Stock diff gearing. 3.73:1 if I recall. Fluid torque drive. I can do 60+ MPH but it feels like its revving a little high for my liking. 50-55 sounds better and is of little concern to me. I assume 55-60 was about the normal comfortable cruising speed in the early 50’s?

Edited by keithb7

2 hours ago, Tom Skinner said:

250.6 cu. inch Flathead Six for the Royals, Windsors, and Town and Countries. The New Yorker had a 323 cu. inch Eight 

The four door Town and Country did use the six cylinder... however....

The Town and Country convertible used the 323 Eight same as the Saratoga ,NewYorker and the big 145" WB Crown Imperials.:)

I know of a nice T& C sedan locally 4 sale if anyone is interested.

New chrome, fresh interior beautiful wood and rebuilt engine.

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, White Spyder said:

I know, need to find a spot without any other cars nearby tha sling doors into it. 

I'm thinking most modern cars would be too intimidated to get very close to it.

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I had my ‘53 265 CI 25” equipped Windsor on the freeway yesterday. The spec is 119 HP. Stock diff gearing. 3.73:1 if I recall. Fluid torque drive. I can do 60+ MPH but it feels like its revving a little high for my liking. 50-55 sounds better and is of little concern to me. I assume 55-60 was about the normal comfortable cruising speed in the early 50’s?

IIRC,with the exception of Nevada and maybe 1 or two other western states,the national speed limit back then was 55 MPH.

6 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

IIRC,with the exception of Nevada and maybe 1 or two other western states,the national speed limit back then was 55 MPH.

Actually, until interstates were being started, some states had no general speed limits. Missouri first had statewide limits around 56-57.

I recall my father was seriously looking at VW buses then, his rational being if he was going to have to drive slow he'd just as well have some room. In the end he bought a used 56 Chevy wagon and drove fast anyway.

Coming back from the mountains yesterday and saw this on California 91 west bound from the Riverside area, so somebody in Southern California is driving their old Plymouth:

I should be getting my old Plymouth out more. But I would rather not be driving it in stop and go traffic on the freeway.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pflaming said:

ONLY $90,000.00! Yet what a beauty! 

Those are in CDN funds Flaming.

$69867 USD.

These cars are pricey.

I have no idea what they go for.

They also have a low miler 47 T&C convertible that Jack bought in 1958.

He passed away so his Widow and kids are slowly selling thd cars and other stuff parts etc.

Hey all, 

Had the Fargo out today for a run on the highway.

Here's what happened.

On my return stretch, the winds are super high today.

Wind gusts to near 40 mph.

Going against this headwind my tired old 228 was struggling to maintain 55 to 60 mph.

Shes a tired old engine and down on compression and cyls are leaking.

I would guess it would yield similar results on a long grade up the mountain.

I sure hope my future rebuilt 265 has more guts.

This was the worse i ever experienced with her....

21 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Well had 3.73 gears in my 47 Royal.

It liked 55 to 60 mph also.

I would think 65 to 70 wouldnt hurt it though.

But of course with that gearing it will feel nice at 55 mph and so would fuel consumption. 

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

Hey i use to drive as a daily my 41 dodge luxury liner coup, it’s more a 2nd car now but i use it in all weather conditions, all original, engin run like new, 3 on tree no fluid drive and bias ply tires make it a real confortable car and now i just buy a 42 chrysler windsor, this car need to be serviced before taking the road again but body in very good shape paint need to be polished :) i’m gonna use it like my dodge.

both with the original flat 6 engin from factory :)

3A068477-D486-4252-A4D2-126BE2369FBA.jpeg

3273651C-2A8E-488B-B41E-7732A37A8672.jpeg

Edited by Adrian41D-19
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Well had 3.73 gears in my 47 Royal.

It liked 55 to 60 mph also.

I would think 65 to 70 wouldnt hurt it though.

But of course with that gearing it will feel nice at 55 mph and so would fuel consumption. 

I drove my 49 with 3.91 gears at 65-70 (no OD).  I just disconnected my tachometer on long drives but it sounded a little busy...

1 hour ago, Adrian41D-19 said:

Hey i use to drive as a daily my 41 dodge luxury liner coup, it’s more a 2nd car now but i use it in all weather conditions, all original, engin run like new, 3 on tree no fluid drive and bias ply tires make it a real confortable car and now i just buy a 42 chrysler windsor, this car need to be serviced before taking the road again but body in very good shape paint need to be polished :) i’m gonna use it like my dodge.

both with the original flat 6 engin from factory :)

3A068477-D486-4252-A4D2-126BE2369FBA.jpeg

3273651C-2A8E-488B-B41E-7732A37A8672.jpeg

YIKES! Can you imagine how expensive it would be to track down and buy all that chrome if it were missing?

10 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

YIKES! Can you imagine how expensive it would be to track down and buy all that chrome if it were missing?

I have an idea haha i went to hershey meet fall in 2016 i found a complete set of chrome for the front of the dodge for 500$ Two pair of headlamps door complet front grill and center bare en NOS condition.

the chrysler need bumpers :(

30 minutes ago, Adrian41D-19 said:

I have an idea haha i went to hershey meet fall in 2016 i found a complete set of chrome for the front of the dodge for 500$ Two pair of headlamps door complet front grill and center bare en NOS condition.

the chrysler need bumpers :(

Maybe it's just me,but that seems like a good price for nice chrome. 500 bucks just ain't what it used to be.

26 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Maybe it's just me,but that seems like a good price for nice chrome. 500 bucks just ain't what it used to be.

Yes it is, most of the time 500 is just for one grill in good shape haha

This year I'm test driving Phoenix weeks before the Q. Today a nice mostly uphill drive up into the foothills, the main pull was about 8 miles, a good climb. Truck did not stumble. 

IMG_2569.JPG

• Like 1