Jump to content
55 Fargo

Who Is Actually Driving Their Vintage Mopars?

Recommended Posts

Hey all, we have a lot of members, and a lot of different cars, and trucks too.

 

I'm wondering how many actually are driving their Vintage Mopars.

 

With so much discussion, on engine swaps, transmission swaps, even frame swaps, ETC.

 

So lets here from you, are you actually running and driving your Vintage Mopars, and what is powering it.

 

I suspect lots are "works in progress" or possibly not being driven anymore.

 

So tell us all you "regular" posters, what are you currently driving for a Vintage Mopar?

 

20180309_142654_resized_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Driven regularly in fine weather, spring , summer and fall. All stock powertrain. 265 CI 25” engine.  Detroit built car. Fluid torque drive with engine fed torque converter. Which means about 3.5 gallons of engine oil at each service. 

 

Stock windshield wipers are not too great for steady rain. Rain-X helps me there. Ample power. Handles good with radial tires. Stops pretty darn fine too. A pleasure to drive and a head turner.  My 1953 Windsor Deluxe. 

 

 

E32E569C-74E3-4327-9BE7-530FA022AFF5.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using my 52 Fargo just about every day.   Engine is breaking in nicely and the overdrive makes it a pleasure to drive.

The mileage which stood at a documented 57800 when I got the truck  will pass 60 000 today.  ( the mileage is about the only original item on the truck.)

 

I have had the 50 Plymouth out.  needs a wash but that won't make it run any better.   Spring is springing here on the wet coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dpollo said:

I have been using my 52 Fargo just about every day.   Engine is breaking in nicely and the overdrive makes it a pleasure to drive.

The mileage which stood at a documented 57800 when I got the truck  will pass 60 000 today.  ( the mileage is about the only original item on the truck.)

 

I have had the 50 Plymouth out.  needs a wash but that won't make it run any better.   Spring is springing here on the wet coast.

My Fargo is a bit weak but runs okay.

I am down on compression overall and a valve likes to stick in Cyl 4 after sitting for a while.

What size engine in your Fargo and how does it perform now that its rebuilt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First three responses, all canucks..... I thought this was The Great White North !   dp   Nobody can beat Worden though with his Meadowbrook  except mayne Bob with his 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My engine is a 251 purchased newly rebuilt and in a crate with military gear on it.  Redressed it in civilian clothes including a Spitfire Head.  Runs really strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Driven regularly in fine weather, spring , summer and fall. All stock powertrain. 265 CI 25” engine.  Detroit built car. Fluid torque drive with engine fed torque converter. Which means about 3.5 gallons of engine oil at each service. 

 

Stock windshield wipers are not too great for steady rain. Rain-X helps me there. Ample power. Handles good with radial tires. Stops pretty darn fine too. A pleasure to drive and a head turner.  My 1953 Windsor Deluxe. 

 

 

E32E569C-74E3-4327-9BE7-530FA022AFF5.jpeg

LOVING that dark metallic green so many car manufacturers used in the early 50's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 46 pickup comes out of storage next Thursday so I'll be driving it some then. Likely it and the coupe will then sit a few more weeks until spring really settles in. The coupe is 120m away in WI so needs some decent weather to retrieve along with the dirt roads drying up from winter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, knuckleharley said:

LOVING that dark metallic green so many car manufacturers used in the early 50's.

I agree. So what are you cruising with these days Knuck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not driving any of my Mopars now,but will be driving my stock 31 Plymouth coupe this spring. I finally found the parts I need to rebuild the brakes,the car is complete,and it is also in the way under my lift. So it will be the first to become mobile again.

5ab2611c618be_RFront.jpg.df8c87bb08f33fced8b27dbd195c585a.jpg

Probably put it up for sale next fall. I can't keep them all,and selling it will give me the cash to put others on the road.

 

Then again,that all depends on how much fun I have driving it and challenging  local  Model A owners to race me. It is by far the nicest car I own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Not driving any of my Mopars now,but will be driving my stock 31 Plymouth coupe this spring. I finally found the parts I need to rebuild the brakes,the car is complete,and it is also in the way under my lift. So it will be the first to become mobile again.

5ab2611c618be_RFront.jpg.df8c87bb08f33fced8b27dbd195c585a.jpg

Probably put it up for sale next fall. I can't keep them all,and selling it will give me the cash to put others on the road.

 

Then again,that all depends on how much fun I have driving it and challenging  local  Model A owners to race me. It is by far the nicest car I own.

Boy, Im sure liking that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

I agree. So what are you cruising with these days Knuck?

51 Ford Victoria. All original but the hubcaps and beauty rings. Plan on selling it this summer after getting something else on the road. Going to use that sale money to get my 39 IHC pu back on the road,and to restore my 51 6 cylinder business coupe,which will get sold at my estate sale.

5ab2626718916_51Front.jpg.85b9324ac3eb8cf88c0c536cd25a21a3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Boy, Im sure liking that...

Interior.jpg.5a38c86ff5a2b47304381e7d4199b90a.jpg

 

If you think you liked it before,check out the interior. The hole in the dash is for the freewheeling control,which is in the trunk. It's going to hurt to get rid of this one,but I can't keep them all. If any potential buyer even WHISPERS words like "big block V-8,rat rod,or chopped top" while looking at it,he is going to get ran off at gunpoint.

Edited by knuckleharley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually drive my 49 in the summer months.  Not because we have harsh winters but I devote the rainy months for mods etc.  I commute 70 miles of interstate daily and use the 49 2-3 days per week.  Stock flathead with duals, 3spd FD and 8" Ford with 3.00 gears.

I've driven the 47 with the hemi for a couple of summers but now it finally going to get finished over the next 1-2 years.  As much as I HATE to say it, that car is turning into more of a streetrod with AC, PB, PS, Auto-OD, leather and heated  seats.  It's also a money pit, but aren't they all?

 

Adam

 

Dodge 1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

I usually drive my 49 in the summer months.  Not because we have harsh winters but I devote the rainy months for mods etc.  I commute 70 miles of interstate daily and use the 49 2-3 days per week.  Stock flathead with duals, 3spd FD and 8" Ford with 3.00 gears.

I've driven the 47 with the hemi for a couple of summers but now it finally going to get finished over the next 1-2 years.  As much as I HATE to say it, that car is turning into more of a streetrod with AC, PB, PS, Auto-OD, leather and heated  seats.  It's also a money pit, but aren't they all?

 

Adam

 

Dodge 1.jpg

Interesting Adam, how do you find that 3.00 gearing, seems a tad tall for hilly terrrain like yours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gears are too tall.  Better with the intake change but I'm going to re-gear it some day, but the price was right on the rear axle and the 3.90 stock gears sucked.

In the picture I had 235/75/15 tires on it, now I have 235/60/15 tires and it's tolerable.  Really nice on the interstates at 70-75 mph though.  The rises on the interstates here don't slow it down but when I took it to Tahoe over Donner summit, my pops went around me because it was slow and I was gassing him out...  He drives an LT-1 powered 47 Ford.

I think with the shorter tires, 3.25 gears would be perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Gears are too tall.  Better with the intake change but I'm going to re-gear it some day, but the price was right on the rear axle and the 3.90 stock gears sucked.

In the picture I had 235/75/15 tires on it, now I have 235/60/15 tires and it's tolerable.  Really nice on the interstates at 70-75 mph though.  The rises on the interstates here don't slow it down but when I took it to Tahoe over Donner summit, my pops went around me because it was slow and I was gassing him out...  He drives an LT-1 powered 47 Ford.

I think with the shorter tires, 3.25 gears would be perfect.

I figured it might be a bit of an issue.

On mine there 3.23s, so not bad at all, even with a tired 228 engine and P 235 75 15 Tires.

But with a fresh 265 it should be great.

Reg Evans has a 3.00 geared truck with a 251 and is happy with it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad and I are kicking around a trip to the NSRA Rocky Mountain Nats in Pueblo CO.  They would certainly get changed before that trip.

Seriously though, if I had a fast second in the trans it would be much better but I have the FD second gear.  Sooner or later I'll find a Plymouth transmission laying around and have my fast second.  Then the gears would be more tolerable because the split between second and third is the biggest problem.  To be honest, other than a couple hours of driving with the new intake and exhaust, I really haven't reevaluated the gears with the new found bottom end. Unless I stumble on the new gears soon, I'll get to thoroughly test that in a few months.

It sure is nice on the freeways though which is where most of my commuting is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Dad and I are kicking around a trip to the NSRA Rocky Mountain Nats in Pueblo CO.  They would certainly get changed before that trip.

Seriously though, if I had a fast second in the trans it would be much better but I have the FD second gear.  Sooner or later I'll find a Plymouth transmission laying around and have my fast second.  Then the gears would be more tolerable because the split between second and third is the biggest problem.  To be honest, other than a couple hours of driving with the new intake and exhaust, I really haven't reevaluated the gears with the new found bottom end. Unless I stumble on the new gears soon, I'll get to thoroughly test that in a few months.

It sure is nice on the freeways though which is where most of my commuting is.  

Yes it would be an issue, what is your 2nd gear ratio?

Mine in 3rd ( used as 2nd) is 1.68 and going into 4th ( used as 3rd), its a bit of a lull until the RPM picks up again, not too bad though.

I figure mine with a very healthy 265 versus a very tried old 228 should be quite a difference..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking my suburban on the power tour this year approx 2500 miles will also be at good guys Nashville in May. 

image.jpegO

Edited by JOHN EDGE
Add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drive my '52 B3B nearly every day. Today I'm picking up a 218 engine. Pic taken at Kettleman City. I met a feoow MOPAR friend there for lunch, 90 miles one way, fun day.

IMG_6700.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Yes it would be an issue, what is your 2nd gear ratio?

Mine in 3rd ( used as 2nd) is 1.68 and going into 4th ( used as 3rd), its a bit of a lull until the RPM picks up again, not too bad though.

I figure mine with a very healthy 265 versus a very tried old 228 should be quite a difference..

Not sure of the exact ratio but 2nd gear is slower in FD equipped vehicles.  1-2 is close, really close; 2-3 is really wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We take ours pretty much anywhere for a tour or show. We never trailer. We do park them in the winter while the salt is on the road, but when the weather is good distance isn't much of factor for a show. At that point it comes down to if we have the time. I think the farthest distance we've done in one day is around 700 miles a few years ago to Minneapolis from Ohio in our 41 Desoto. All of our cars have stock drive-trains. They were made to drive and go down the road right? 

 

The picture below is from last summer on a tour. It covered around 1,000 miles in a week. 

IMG_3542.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finishing lunch then taking the '38 Dodge for a ride, snow in the fields and just below freezing but the roads are dry. Have to dress warm, as there is no heater and I insulated the fire wall well. But it is still warmer than the snowmobile or the motorcycles. The '41 Chrysler is a bit more of a princess, she is ready to go but I will wait for some rain to wash some of the salt off the roads.

20170221_175841.jpg

20170712_113709.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use