scarebird brake conversion

jgreg53

I'm interested in changing my front brakes on my 48 Plymouth sedan using the scarebird kit.

The website says for the 48plymouth kit I will need ford probe rotors and chevy s10 calipers and pads.  Has anyone done this? and what year ford probe and chevy s10 do I have to get? and does it work with the original master cylinder?

2 hours ago, jgreg53 said:

I'm interested in changing my front brakes on my 48 Plymouth sedan using the scarebird kit.

The website says for the 48plymouth kit I will need ford probe rotors and chevy s10 calipers and pads.  Has anyone done this? and what year ford probe and chevy s10 do I have to get? and does it work with the original master cylinder?

Best folks to answer these questions would be Scarebird. What do they have to say?

I put one of their kits on my 49 Dodge special deluxe(Canadian car) and they sent me a list of parts that I needed. If you don't get a response i can dig up the parts list tonight, might be similar or a place to start. I replaced the Master cylinder to a dual one, mainly for safety. ECI sells a decent kit that mounts in the factory position. 

10 hours ago, Shawn said:

I put one of their kits on my 49 Dodge special deluxe(Canadian car) and they sent me a list of parts that I needed. If you don't get a response i can dig up the parts list tonight, might be similar or a place to start. I replaced the Master cylinder to a dual one, mainly for safety. ECI sells a decent kit that mounts in the factory position. 

What master cylinder did you use? 

Do you have drums in the back or discs all the way around?

13 hours ago, jgreg53 said:

I sent the company an e-mail and got no response

are you using their parts or trying to copy their procedure?   If you did not buy from them it would be doubtful they will tell you the list of items needed for the conversion.  Full disclosure of what you have or don't have may get better answers here.

5 hours ago, 40desoto said:

What master cylinder did you use? 

Do you have drums in the back or discs all the way around?

He posted that he used the ECI master cylinder kit and mounting brackets. I also used the ECI master cylinder and bracket kit on my 49 Wayfarer along with the remote fill kit.

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/chrysler_master_assemblies.html

Hi...l have used both Scarebird and Rusty Hope kits....Scarebird on a 55 Ford and Rusty hope on 40 Dodge...both are good quality, include caliper brackets and spacers for the rotors, you supply the specified parts...Shoot Rusty Hope an email and see what you think... their customer service is excellent...

Oh and l installed both on front disc/rear drum cars and they did work fine with original master cylinder however l eventually changed both cars to dual chamber with booster...

Good luck!!

Tom

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Hi...l have used both Scarebird and Rusty Hope kits....Scarebird on a 55 Ford and Rusty hope on 40 Dodge...both are good quality, include caliper brackets and spacers for the rotors, you supply the specified parts...Shoot Rusty Hope an email and see what you think... their customer service is excellent...

Oh and l installed both on front disc/rear drum cars and they did work fine with original master cylinder however l eventually changed both cars to dual chamber with booster...

Good luck!!

Tom

Olddaddys you need to drill and tap for the bracket?

Scarebird you dont,  correct?

Yes Old daddy's requires drill and tap Scarebird did not but my Scarebird kit went on Ford so lm not sure about Mopar...you can send old daddy your uprights and steering arms he will drill and tap for you...his website provides the details

Tom

Edited by Tom
Forgot something

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yes Old daddy's requires drill and tap Scarebird did not but my Scarebird kit went on Ford so lm not sure about Mopar...you can send old daddy your uprights and steering arms he will drill and tap for you...his website provides the details

Tom

If and when I ever do this conversion, either kit would be okay. I would not need to have the drilling and tapping done, can do it myself...

42 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

If and when I ever do this conversion, either kit would be okay. I would not need to have the drilling and tapping done, can do it myself...

It was super easy to drill and tap mine., did it on the car.  I would not let that stop anyone from buying his kit.

Adam, how do you compare your new disc brakes compared to the old Lockheed drums?

Now I already know Lockheed drums when adjusted well and in good working order, are damn good.

On my 55 Fargo, the front drums are stock, single wheel cyl, as the rears had dual cyls.

I have modern 10 inch bendix drums on the rear.

My brakes are good, but could be better, might do the upgrade, as although my front brakes are not old, the drums are just over the oversize limits... 10.63 and 10.82

Drilling and tapping was a breeze. I used my large drill press and a hand tap. A few months ago I had a good friend in need of a drill press so I gave my big drill press to him as I can no longer use it. Then last month my son was here and had a use for my small drill press so I sent it home with him. Gives me a good feeling knowing that my tools will go to folks who will use them.

1-3-1-1077449263.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Adam, how do you compare your new disc brakes compared to the old Lockheed drums?

Now I already know Lockheed drums when adjusted well and in good working order, are damn good.

On my 55 Fargo, the front drums are stock, single wheel cyl, as the rears had dual cyls.

I have modern 10 inch bendix drums on the rear.

My brakes are good, but could be better, might do the upgrade, as although my front brakes are not old, the drums are just over the oversize limits... 10.63 and 10.82

To be honest the Lockheed drums worked well but I didn't have the adjustment tool so they were always adjusted close but never close enough.  For the price of the tool, I could do disc brakes twice.

I drive my car in commute traffic at 70+ mph sometimes so that where the disc brakes shine.  They do slow the car better than the drums especially the 3rd or 4th time in a 1 mile stretch, so let's say a 25% improvement.

I will NEVER have to adjust brakes again (at least on the front) 100% + improvement. 

The drums are only really good after they are adjusted, goes down hill from there, discs are always adjusted correctly.  100% improvement.

They have been on for a few years now and I have not had to do anything to them in that time.  Which reminds me, I'm going to check the brake fluid next time I drive it.

Edited by Adam H P15 D30
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

Drilling and tapping was a breeze. I used my large drill press and a hand tap. A few months ago I had a good friend in need of a drill press so I gave my big drill press to him as I can no longer use it. Then last month my son was here and had a use for my small drill press so I sent it home with him. Gives me a good feeling knowing that my tools will go to folks who will use them.

1-3-1-1077449263.jpg

Sorry to hear you cannot use the tools any more Don :(

25 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Sorry to hear you cannot use the tools any more Don :(

Me too. Combination of many ailments non of which are any fun. Much more fun to run a drill press than to clean up **** that missed the targeted crapper. Getting old is no fun. George Carlin nailed it in his reverse aging skit. Better to go out as a giant orgasm.

• Sad 2

Don...............you still have your sense of humor............lol.............sorry to hear about the tools tho' but as you said they went to good homes.........regards, andyd.

23 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

1-3-1-1077449263.jpg

Don, I’m sorry that you have cause to feel that you have to give your tools away.  Take care, and hang in there.

Good for you Don.

I would rather give my tools to deserving people that respect them while I still have decision making capabilities rather than  have them pilfered by unworthies [relatives that don't return things they borrow.] in my dotage.

Or worse sold by my loving yet clueless wife to some schmuck at one of her garage sales.........hopefully after the funeral.....lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1