Weight of 230 ci inline 6

30 minutes ago, lonejacklarry said:

Anyone have a rough idea what a Dodge 230 would weigh?  No head, generator, flywheel, distributor, oil, etc.  Just the block and internals--maybe best description would be a "long" block?

Approximately 550 to 600 lbs.

400 lbs. max I guess.

Vintage Power Wagon  ships them....

Weight Enginr.PNG

5 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

Anyone have a rough idea what a Dodge 230 would weigh?  No head, generator, flywheel, distributor, oil, etc.  Just the block and internals--maybe best description would be a "long" block?

.....short block is the better term for the weight you want...

A 230 is not nearly as heavy as a 251/265. 

VPW knows the shipping weight.

No way is a 23" ENGINE 575 lbs w/o the flywheel and accessories... no way. I've pulled and moved many many many of them.

7 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

A 230 is not nearly as heavy as a 251/265. 

VPW knows the shipping weight.

No way is a 23" ENGINE 575 lbs w/o the flywheel and accessories... no way. I've pulled and moved many many many of them.

I meant weight with head and flywheel.

minus what 100 lbs for those  2 items, its gonna be more than 400 lbs most likely...

man, I don't know what they weigh, but I have "man handled" a few and I would have guessed closer to the 400lb mark. but NOW when I tell the story it was closer to 600lbs :D

you know...... " he said...... she said...... it was!" :lol:

• Haha 3

A few months ago, I weighed a bare 230 block, no head, no crank, no rods or pistons, no flywheel, no camshaft, no lifters, valves or timing chain or timing gears,  no oil pump, no water pump or any accessories...so literally a bare block, and it was 150 lbs.  I have also weighed a 230 crankshaft, and it was about 75 lbs.  Add a few pounds for the pistons and rods, a few more for the camshaft, lifters and valves, a few more for the oil pump, and a few more for the timing chain and gears, and you are probably talking in the neighborhood of 300 - 350 for a block and its internals.  This does not include oil pan, the valve covers, or the front engine mounting plate, the timing cover, the intake or exhaust manifolds, or distributor, either.

Edited by Matt Wilson
  • Like 1

I don't know what the engine alone weighs but a complete 230 Dodge engine/transmission assembly, an extra transmission and fluid drive coupling, rear end, front suspension components, intake and exhaust manifold, cylinder head and a few other extra small parts is close to as much as a Chevy S-10 needs to haul if I'm driving it..