They're still out there

Not mine but very close to where I live. I would be interested but price is a bit steep in my opinion. Claims to have been inside all its life but paint does not indicate that. However, interior looks nice and it is running. Tempting but not tempting enough. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/rare-1949-dodge-fargo-half-ton-pickup/1340394159?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Is the asking price of 8,000 Canadian or US?  If  it is Canadian that would be about 6,500 US, I think.  If the truck is, in fact, rust free, then it might warrant a second look.  If  you can handle a floor pan replacement then the price would be too high.  If you had to hire it done and pay for parts then the price of the truck gets better in seconds.  Factor in that it starts and run or so you're told.  Yes, it does sound some high but considering all the expensive stuff you probably are not going to have to do makes a difference.  If you like the "paint" then you've struck gold.

I agree that the truck has not been inside all its life.  If the owner is stretching the truth on that then what else might he be fibbing about.  I would take a good magnet, a flashlight, and a creeper and take a close look at the truck.

Imo it’s still a pretty high start considering it very likely still needs a pile of work.  Body wise it has a lot going with no rust, but still lots of dents and work to be done.  Nothing to say the engine isn’t worn out and needing a complete rebuild, as would be the front end and other suspension components.

If you wanted an all original truck to drive in a parade or a Sunday local cruise..maybe it’s worth it, but knowing what it costs to do a build and that doesn’t include a pro paint job...it’s a big investment 

Until maybe late 60's it was very common to run back odometers. There were pros who made a circuit doing it at car lots. A key that it had been done was odometer numbers that don't line up correctly. When they used their picks and special tools it left that telltale sign. Notice how well the numbers line up - or, rather, don't. 

I wouldn't put much stock in the displayed mileage.

If this is a fully functioning vehicle then $6,500 seems pretty reasonable. Ad doesn't mention whether the brakes work (gotta assume they don't), but if they do and there isn't anything else wrong with it then this is not a bad deal.

I got so excited at 8k; US but 6500? That pile of junk ain't got nuthin' on Roxanne. :cool:

FWIW My dash lights work too, and I only paid 4500 delivered. Let my experience be your guide. Honestly, I would have paid 6k :rolleyes:

20180305_170116-1022x575.jpg

8 hours ago, Young Ed said:

and not bone stock either...

• 3 months later...

Surfing, found this thread. Last night I took a look at Fresno, California craigs list for 50's MOPARs. There are four pilot house trucks listed, none appear to be junkets, all appear to be complete trucks.