1952 Dodge B3B

Hello Gentlemen,  

Between working 70 hours a week and doing laundry, I finally managed get the bolts cut off of the exhaust manifold.  Pulled the manifolds off to expose the valve case. 

Few Questions.

The manifolds can be resurfaced/ reused? 

What is the best approach when starting with the cooling system?

Where can I find a cover for my dodge, that is reasonably priced?

Thanks 

20180728_132429.jpg

for what it's worth, I took my first manifolds and head to have them "resurfaced" at a local head cylinder shop they checked and they didn't need any work done but, they charged me $45. to tell me that and clean them up. :mellow:  the next three  I did, I cleaned up myself, check them with a straight edge and just replaced the gaskets

as for the cooling system, three of my motors were still in the trucks so I pulled the freeze plugs and flushed the block with fresh water......

425714022_expplug(2).jpg.9af919b8236a14cca60b2d8458577a1c.jpg

but, my objective was just to get them running.

not saying it is the right thing to do, it's just what I did/do

(on "George" I pulled the motor and had the whole thing dipped and gone threw by an engine rebuilder)

for the cover, put a add out on the "wanted section"

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy!

This week is hot August nights. I was cruising around and found not one dodge pickup truck. Every Truck was ford chevy/gmc. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed. 1, because no flippin dodges. 2, most of the other trucks were modified.  

Makes me want to get my truck running and take it to these shows. 

Hope you all are having a good day. 

On 7/28/2018 at 9:16 PM, Brent B3B said:

for what it's worth, I took my first manifolds and head to have them "resurfaced" at a local head cylinder shop they checked and they didn't need any work done but, they charged me $45. to tell me that and clean them up. :mellow:  the next three  I did, I cleaned up myself, check them with a straight edge and just replaced the gaskets

as for the cooling system, three of my motors were still in the trucks so I pulled the freeze plugs and flushed the block with fresh water......

425714022_expplug(2).jpg.9af919b8236a14cca60b2d8458577a1c.jpg

but, my objective was just to get them running.

not saying it is the right thing to do, it's just what I did/do

(on "George" I pulled the motor and had the whole thing dipped and gone threw by an engine rebuilder)

for the cover, put a add out on the "wanted section"

Thank you Brent for raking the time to reply.

When you flush, you just stick a garden hose in that hole you show in the pic? 

Where are those plugs in relation to the motor? 

Thanks  again 

19 hours ago, Saltrock said:

Howdy!

This week is hot August nights. I was cruising around and found not one dodge pickup truck. Every Truck was ford chevy/gmc. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed. 1, because no flippin dodges. 2, most of the other trucks were modified.  

Makes me want to get my truck running and take it to these shows. 

Hope you all are having a good day. 

A lot of us know exactly what your saying, I was at a show yesterday I was the only pilothouse,  the other  Dodge truck there was a Ratrod....

at least I was parked between two Plymouths 

IMG_0697.JPG.2272ef5ddbf0a439a197ac2ad8fbfde3.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Saltrock said:

Thank you Brent for raking the time to reply.

When you flush, you just stick a garden hose in that hole you show in the pic? 

Where are those plugs in relation to the motor? 

Thanks  again 

Those freeze plugs are on the drivers side, the one in the photo is behind the distributor. I removed the oil filter and plugged the ports with the yellow plugs.

If you flush, you might throw the tappet covers back on, the intake bolts back in and pack the pistons with dry "laundry" first. If you have the water pump off, you could backflush the distribution tube also. 

Start with low water pressure, you will be able to turn it up as you get a feel for how fast it is coming out. 

Napa has the replacement freeze plugs