1952 Dodge B3B

Any solvent that solves petroleum products. Diesel fuel, kerosene, gasoline, alcohol, acitone, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, putty knife, wire brush, elbow grease, surgical gloves, face shield, eye protection, canvas apron, well vented work area, fire extinguisher, etc, etc, etc....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Saltrock said:

Good morning Gents,

So today I plan on dropping the pan to clean it. Any tips on cleaning it thoroughly?  there any chemical that can leave a clean pan? 

Thanks again. Hope you have a great weekend

I've messed with this sort of stuff since I was a teenager. It was always a pain to get the sheet metal parts clean. Outside dirt and gunk, especially. A couple years ago I bought one of those parts washers that work like a big dishwasher - heated soapy water and a tank in the bottom. I was shocked to find I could put in the nastiest caked on parts, give it a half hour and it was all gone.

see if someone around you has one, car club guy, nearby machine shop or anyone. Give them $20 or so, put all your sheet metal parts in and save yourself hours of scraping and wire brushing. If you were close I'd tell you to stop by.

• Thanks 1

Ok! Fun day today! Dropped the pan. Thought there would have been more sludge. It was pretty easy to clean. Like Don Coatney said, a little elbow grease makes a difference.  

Took some pics of the underside of the engine. Excuse all the pics. 

20180428_110020.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Saltrock said:

20180428_122452.jpg

Does that far left cam lobe -fuel pump?- appear to have some weird waer pattern??

DJ

Good morning! Happy Sunday.

I was hoping you you guys could answer a few questions for me. How many quarts do these engines hold?  Is there a designated place to pour the oil?

Things I've done so far

Tested starter 

Tested generator 

Rebuilt carb

Drained oil 

Things I need to do. 

Pressure test radiator 

Figure out the distributor 

Install spark plugs

New oil

New fuel lines and hoses 

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Saltrock said:

Good morning! Happy Sunday.

I was hoping you you guys could answer a few questions for me. How many quarts do these engines hold?  Is there a designated place to pour the oil?

My driver manual says 5qrts.... 6 if you have a filter.

, the larger tube between the generator and the distributor....... 

Edited by Brent B3B

30 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

My driver manual says 5qrts.... 6 if you have a filter.

, the larger tube between the generator and the distributor....... 

Doh! I thought that big tube was a vent of some sort. 

Also any particular brand of 10w-40 that is good for these trucks?

Thanks for the info

Ok. Finally got my oil bath filter apart. That felt great. However, my oil bath looks like a rust bath. I wasn't aware there was a filter component on the upper compartment.  The inner part looks corroded, almost unsalavagable. The lower part looks like it could be cleaned up. 

What do you guys think?

Also still looking for a good brand of motor oil.  

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

that oil bath is toast. Time to gut it and put a paper element in it. Otherwise find a better one. 

That's what I was thinking Ed. Id like to keep it original as possible and seek out a usable one and not do a paper filter. 

Know where to source that kind of part?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Saltrock said:

Doh! I thought that big tube was a vent of some sort. 

Also any particular brand of 10w-40 that is good for these trucks?

Thanks for the info

Brand? I worked (managed a) Jiffy Lube for 14years. I learned you don't have relatives work for ya, discuss religion, politics or oil brand type.... LOL

in my opinion.... use what brand makes you happy or what you have stock options in but, change it regularly and you'll be good to go ;)

52 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

Brand? I worked (managed a) Jiffy Lube for 14years. I learned you don't have relatives work for ya, discuss religion, politics or oil brand type.... LOL

in my opinion.... use what brand makes you happy or what you have stock options in but, change it regularly and you'll be good to go ;)

I never knew discussing oil brand has been known to break up the thanksgiving family dinner. LoL. 

Thanks for the info

• Haha 1

Hello Gents,

Today after work I decided to pull the head off and see all the goodies. Engine is free, piston move, one valve was stuck, I got it unstuck and moving. So now all valves move.

My next move is to take off the manifolds and get into the valve covers for some cleanin. I assume if I don't at least address the really stuck valve it may become stuck again.   

Anyone see anything that pops out at them?

Can the copper gasket be used again?

20180507_153815.jpg