Edgy heads being poured now

knuckleharley

Guys,if you want one of the 23 or 25 inch Edgy heads,now is the time to buy it because they are just starting the pour,and the first 25 buyers of each will get a 1 to 25 special serial number on it.

More importantly,you get $200 off for making a early buy.

And "No,mine is NOT going to be for sale!"

BTW,my only connection with the Montana Boys is a few emails. Never met them in my life and have no financial,family,or business connections with them.

• Thanks 1

On FB they were talking about a March pour......also he wondered if there was a market for the 8 cylinder heads, said they would look close to stock and cost about $1,500 apiece.....I wish they would pour some L6 Iron heads.....you wouldn't have to guess CC'S or compression anymore when rebuilding.

Where do you go to order/buy or find information?

Edited by thebeebe5

22 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

On FB they were talking about a March pour......also he wondered if there was a market for the 8 cylinder heads, said they would look close to stock and cost about $1,500 apiece.....I wish they would pour some L6 Iron heads.....you wouldn't have to guess CC'S or compression anymore when rebuilding.

They are normally $1200 for the 230's and $1400 for the 251's,but the first 25 of each series will be numbered and  sold for $1000 and $1100.

14 minutes ago, thebeebe5 said:

Where do you go to order/buy or find information?

https://www.moparmontana.com/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

They are normally $1200 for the 230's and $1400 for the 251's,but the first 25 of each series will be numbered and  sold for $1000 and $1100.

Nice but way too rich for my blood.

Can buy a lot of engine parts for that amount.

I would possibly order if I could afford it and I'm not putting it on Visa

4 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I wasn't price quoting the 6 but the feasibility  of aluminum 8 cylinder head......$1,500 dollars was their ballpark quote.

24 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Thanks.   Missed the deadline for early/pre order. 

3 minutes ago, thebeebe5 said:

Thanks.   Missed the deadline for early/pre order. 

You can always ask if they still have any left at that price. It's a special price for the first 25 heads in each series.

28 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Nice but way too rich for my blood.

Can buy a lot of engine parts for that amount.

I would possibly order if I could afford it and I'm not putting it on Visa

I pretty much didn't have any choice. I am stuck on loving 1950's style hot rods,and it ain't a 50's hot rod without finned aluminum heads on flatheads.

Besides,I will be getting paid back in smiles every time I open the hood and see that finned aluminum head and the 3 carbs. How much money are smiles worth?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I pretty much didn't have any choice. I am stuck on loving 1950's style hot rods,and it ain't a 50's hot rod without finned aluminum heads on flatheads.

Besides,I will be getting paid back in smiles every time I open the hood and see that finned aluminum head and the 3 carbs. How much money are smiles worth?

Okay no problem.

2 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Why would you be guessing at combustion chamber volume and compression during a rebuild? How does making them out of iron change that?

You could buy 1 aluminum HEMI head loaded, ready to bolt on for a few hundred more. Ouch, I would think since these heads are much simpler to cast they would be well below 1k. Could buy a pair of Furd Flathead heads for a few hundred more. 

Is the market strong enough to justify that price?  

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

30 minutes ago, HotRodTractor said:

Why would you be guessing at combustion chamber volume and compression during a rebuild? How does making them out of iron change that?

Easy, specified CC and comp ratio chamber design etc.

Spec is new and determined.

For example a brand new iron head at 9 to 1 comp ratio.

No measuring an old OEM head to ascertain how much is removed already and how much more it can go.

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

30 minutes ago, HotRodTractor said:

I like iron so I said iron, that being said aluminum or iron if a brand new the cc's and compression will be provided for you from the mfg, if an old undetermined head you don't know how much you can safely mill off without the piston striking. CC's are the way you determine how much has already been or not been milled so you can continue without damage. So if you don't know what the stock cc's were how can you figure out how much has been or not been milled already? Ma Mopar did not provide us with this measurement so we have a crap shoot milling iron heads with a dubious history.

Can you hear me now.....lol. I hope that helps.

22 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Easy, specified CC and comp ratio chamber design etc.

Spec is new and determined.

For example a brand new iron head at 9 to 1 comp ratio.

No measuring an old OEM head to ascertain how much is removed already and how much more it can go.

11 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

I like iron so I said iron, that being said aluminum or iron if a brand new the cc's and compression will be provided for you from the mfg, if an old undetermined head you don't know how much you can safely mill off without the piston striking. CC's are the way you determine how much has already been or not been milled so you can continue without damage. So if you don't know what the stock cc's were how can you figure out how much has been or not been milled already? Ma Mopar did not provide us with this measurement so we have a crap shoot milling iron heads with a dubious history.

Can you hear me now.....lol. I hope that helps.

So we agree that if the manufacturer gives you the CCs of the chambers then its OK - and those numbers should be easily provided to you for a new head no matter what the material it is cast in. The way your post read it was like aluminum it was a great unknown, but making it of iron would solve that.

Making new heads out of iron wouldn't be difficult, but it would be spendy because of the new molds required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone who stepped up to the plate 10 yrs ago and bought a finned Head for the 230 i was building from Earl and after freight it cost over $1200.00 Australian I would suggest that one reason for the cost of these is purely an economic one based on the market size.........I sincerely hope that they HAVE to make hundreds if not thousands to satisfy the demand but unfortunately that may not be the case so the smaller number that are made result in a higher cost............just hope it remains a viable proposition for all concerned..........andyd.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

As someone who stepped up to the plate 10 yrs ago and bought a finned Head for the 230 i was building from Earl and after freight it cost over $1200.00 Australian I would suggest that one reason for the cost of these is purely an economic one based on the market size.........I sincerely hope that they HAVE to make hundreds if not thousands to satisfy the demand but unfortunately that may not be the case so the smaller number that are made result in a higher cost............just hope it remains a viable proposition for all concerned..........andyd.  

And....,let's face the ugly reality that a thousand bucks ain't what it used to be 10 years ago,either. Inflation.

I used to carry 20 bucks in cash around on me years ago so I would have a little spending money if something came up. Now I carry 100 bucks.

• Like 1

Let's face it; there are too many variations of piston volume, piston depth, valve cutouts sizes and gasket thickness/volume to make any conclusions about what compression you will get with any combination of blocks and heads.  If you want to know, you measure everything; if you don't want to know, you bolt everything together as is and it will probably work just fine anyway.

Marty, who did measure everything and had a 9 to 1 motor with an Edmunds aluminum head.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

You could buy 1 aluminum HEMI head loaded, ready to bolt on for a few hundred more.

True,but I don't want or need an aluminum hemi-head. In fact,I have two complete DeSoto hemi's I could use in my 42 if I wanted a hemi in it. I  do plan on using one in my basket case 33 Plymouth coupe if I live long enough to get to it,and I will sell the other one. Going to pull them both apart to see what is what,and keep the best one.

BUT.....,in my 42 coupe engine bay I want nothing BUT a flat 6 Mopar engine.

14 minutes ago, HotRodTractor said:

Honestly I think getting a new cast head from a short production run for these prices a pretty decent deal.

I think they are a hell of a buy. I told the Dodge Boys when they first announced these heads and the target  price to put me down for 1 230 head and 1 251 head,and followed up by buying both on the same day.

I also found and bought a NOS Edmunds head for the flat 6 Ford engine in my 51 coupe a couple of months ago. Only took about 5 years to find one,and don't ask me what I had to pay for it. It's too painful to talk about. The good news is that since it was NOS it had never been milled or mounted and warped,and you can bet your bippy I will be getting the top of the block surfaced before it is mounted,and that I mount and torque it VERY carefully when it does go on the engine.

This stuff in good or even repairable condition is not getting any easier to find,and it's going to get harder to find with every day that passes. On top of that,if you wait 3 or 4 years to buy one,chances are a used one is going to cost you more then than a new one does today.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HotRodTractor said:

I would totally buy one if I was in the position to do so right now. Life has thrown me a little curve ball so I didn't get in on the presale buy, but those are the lumps of life.

Yeah,I've been there,too. 4 emergency surgeries in 4 or 5 years,plus a few trips to the ER with crap like a broken hand had me buried in debt for several years,and all my stuff just sat there while I was trying to recover financially. I now have some mobility and flexibility issues that cause me problems,but I finally got out from under all those damn medical bills and am trying to get back to working on my cars again just as soon as I get some home repairs made. Or hire someone to do them for me,anyway. Can't climb ladders or kneel very good due to arthritis in my knees. That's why  I bought a rotisserie to do bodywork and paint,and a lift to do mechanical work. If I can't bend or kneel to get to the work,I need to make the work come to me so I can sit or stand to do it. It would have probably been cheaper to just pay someone to do the cars,but if I did that I wouldn't have anything to do. My greatest fear in life is to wake up one morning and not have anything interesting to do.

• Like 1