39 dodge business coupe taillights

garyp

Gary here isa picture of the rear fender with the correct taillights and chrome doors. I know John Daly and this is a Senior AACA car. John loives in upper NJ and I think near piscattawy. You might want to contact the aaca to see if they might have his phone number or eamil so you can contact him He might have some leads.

RichHArtung

image.png.ed38eeb6e2d9e7cc12c44c7bec6fb263.png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

Gary here isa picture of the rear fender with the correct taillights and chrome doors. I know John Daly and this is a Senior AACA car. John loives in upper NJ and I think near piscattawy. You might want to contact the aaca to see if they might have his phone number or eamil so you can contact him He might have some leads.

RichHArtung

image.png.ed38eeb6e2d9e7cc12c44c7bec6fb263.png

it's a volkwagen on steroids.....

• Thanks 1

Gary,

here are two tail light shots, I will post two more.  Tape was cut off, it's  6 5/8" from bottom of chrome to bottom of fender.  Picture without bezel and lens shows lip on top, and screw hole on bottom.  Screw hole is 7" from bottom of fender.  Pay no attention to bulb mount, its cobbled up, and the second bulb squeezed in is the turn signal; better than the trailer lights on the bumper, onn the car when I bought  it.  More to come,

brian

DSCN2020.JPG

DSCN2027.JPG

Gary, 

Here is the right bucket, looking inside the fender.  Wiring goes in from below, bumper iron is on right.  As this looks to be part of the fender, welded on, you may have to buy fenders to get the buckets.  If your fenders are good, maybe you will get lucky and find fenders rotted out at the body seam, but good buckets.   I don't know what your intentions are for the car,  getting a running driver, or a concourse restoration.  If a driver,  I would cobble up some sort of bucket from a metal container,  or something to repurpose.  Keep looking for the correct part,  but I'd work up some sort of fix to get the car on the road.  Its  not a critical part appearance wise,  just make something held on with a couple of sheet metal screws, and  well sealed to the fender to keep water from getting in.  Some undercoating or body shutz, and some road grime,  and it would be hard to notice.  I've never had anyone crawl under my coupe and look up at the backs of the fenders, not yet anyway,  but my car certainly won't be invited to pebble beach anytime soon.  Hope this helps, at least some.

brian b

DSCN2025.JPG

DSCN2023.JPG

Edited by brian b

Great pics  I can use my old buckets they are in good shape your taillight looks like mine but upside down. I am restoring it to its original condition as best I can getting close to paint but the guy who is going to paint it can't do it till end of summer 6 grand and it will be better than it came out of the showroom he said I have seen his work and it is beautiful so we will see. I might have to put the ones I have temporary so I can at least drive it this summer.  Thanks Gary

Gary: In the pictures that they gentleman showed the buckets, on the inner side is cal oed the reinforcement. As you can see there are two studs that come through the back of the bucket and through holes in the reinforcement bucket. The reinforcement bucket is what really hold the entire unit against the fender from the under side of the fender. If you can not get these than you could bend a pieces of flat steel along several angles to hold the bucket tight against the inner fender.

The inner reinforcements are so hard to find becasue these would rot out fromthe water and mud that would get kicked up onthem from the rear wheels.

Call me rich Hartung

cell 484-431-8157

Might not need two bulbs, but thats how I did it.  The turn signals were originally trailer lights  bolted to the bumper.  I took them off, re routed the wires, and installed the bulbs and sockets as pictured.  Don't know if they make a combination tail light brake light turn signal light,  so yes, you probably need two bulbs if you want turn signals.  Turn signals were not factory on my car, the signal stalk is very old aftermarket, and the front turn signals are the running lights on the fenders, absent on early 39's.

brian b

My car has lights on the top of the fender and also in front of the fender down a little and in a little from the headlight I was going to use the one on the front of the fender for turn signal but if you say the top I will go that route I just finished running all of the wires out to the fender so I can put them anywhere.

The ones you say are near the headlights, not the streamlined top of fender lights,  aren't original, but are someone' s previous attempt to install turn signals, like my trailer lights.  I'd move the turn signals to the top lights, and fill the holes for the non original lights, before your paint job.  I would definitely go with some sort of turn signal, original or not .   Nobody knows what hand signals are anymore, they think you're hanging your arm out the window, especially the right turn hand signal.  Someone rear ends you and you could lose your arm.  I get nervous even with turn signals, as they aren't giant lights up at eye level.  Never underestimate the stupidity of the sixteen year old texting driver.  

brian b

I have turn signals signal stat 900 series it was on car when I bought it but wires were installed half assed so I cut all the wires and started from scratch and ran them the correct way just hope I got them right trying to get the correct diagram for a 8 wire 6 volt positive ground was a bugger I hope it was the right one.

The price of 90 dolalrs for a pair of 39 Dodge taillight lens is way over priced.   I have seen these at swap meets going for 5_15 each do not pay alot for these lens they can be found at a great price.  even at Hershey inthe fall. or even Macungie in August.  Keep looking..

Rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Gary There isa NOS 39 Dodge taillight bezel on ebay  here is the wording: MOPAR 39 DODGE NOS TAILLIGHT BEZEL DELUXE SPECIAL LUXURY LINER  the cost is $25.00

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks Rich I just bought it thanks 1 down 1 to go took the car out for a drive around the neighborhood runs great its hard to believe I took it down to the frame and put it all back together by myself.  Gary