39 dodge business coupe taillights

garyp

I just discovered that someone through the years replaced my taillights with ones from a 1950 dodge wayfarer and I can not seem to find any originals for my 39 out there I have been an so many websites but no luck. Any ideas on what to do would be appreciated.   Thanks Gary 

Wouldn't the sedans have the same tailights as the coupes?..........if so then I'd start by just asking for 39 Dodge tailights as the more specific your request is to people then the more they may think they have something made of unobtainium and price it accordingly..........dunno if this is much help........the wayfarer tailights wouldn't be that common either I suppose so you maybe able to trade or at least recoup some dollars spent getting the 39 tailights............andyd

not sure if the 39 dodge is the same but 39 plymouths were the first year the tail lights were in the fenders rather than on a stand. for plymouths those buckets were prone to rust and are kinda hard to find. 

Just did a search in US Ebay under 1939 Dodge Tailight and there was a pair listed for $40.00 US and a single one for $30.00.....seems reasonable for me, they appeared to be the original tapered tailight, made of glass, NOS so seems o/k..........these were just the glass lens, no chrome surround nor buckets so maybe not as good value as I 1st thought but at least a start..........andyd 

Edited by Andydodge
more info

49roadster, that maybe correct although I'd doubt it........just went & checked John Lees Standard Catalog of Chrysler, the only rear pic is of one of the 1939 Dodge Town Coupes which has the normal 39 Dodge taillight, from the pic appears to be the same as that used on sedans etc.........btw the 1939 Dodge section in this book shows a black coupe with KW245 number plates, this car was owned by a mate in the early/mid 70's and was originally a pale olive green, he sold it to Keith Walters, hence the personalised plates.....its not very clear in the photo but that coupe was a TJ Richards 3 Window Coupe, similar to those used on US 37-42 Willys coupes but made in and unique  Australia............just to confuse the issue in 1939, Oz also had 5 Window Coupe bodys but these are extremely rare....................anyway I was turning the page to look at the 1940 Dodges and I'd forgotten that the light coloured 1940 Dodge pictured was another Oz car owned by another guy I knew back then, George Breese.......you can tell its an Oz car by the Plymouth hood, headlight surrounds and bumper bar and the RHD plus the caption says Australian...........lol............anyway thats all the useless info I have for today..............back in my corner I'll go...........lol.........andyd          

I already have new lenses I bought them off e bay for 20 bucks that is how I found out I had the wrong bezels and buckets almost done with the project and I keep finding these little problems guys please keep your eyes open for me.  I enclosed a couple of pics the ones I have are the taller of the two the correct one is the smaller one.    Thanks Gary' 

28701248_1581246495257061_1774017847137971906_o.jpg

16195740_10206162889110490_7806945777793794339_n.jpg

16195740_10206162889110490_7806945777793794339_n.jpg

Gary.........the short tailight lens on the right is what I've seen on all 39 Dodges here in Oz, admittedly we only had 4dr Sedans and 2 versions of Coupes( 3 and 5 window)..........the Coupe Utes I've seen had small cylindrical tailights like that found on late 20's early 30's cars and were nothing like the one shown in your pic..........the one with the bezel is the Wayfarer one?.............andyd   

Gary, I own a ‘39 4 dr sedan. The previous owner adapted metal boxes for on-off wall switches for tail light buckets. They use the original lenses and bezels. Cannot tell it until lense is removed to replace a bulb. I found what was left of the original buckets in the trunk, severely rusted and unusable. All ‘39’s I have seen use the same tail light, and it is the smaller one you have pictured. Keep your eye on EBAY as the bezels do appear occasionally.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Gary.........the short tailight lens on the right is what I've seen on all 39 Dodges here in Oz, admittedly we only had 4dr Sedans and 2 versions of Coupes( 3 and 5 window)..........the Coupe Utes I've seen had small cylindrical tailights like that found on late 20's early 30's cars and were nothing like the one shown in your pic..........the one with the bezel is the Wayfarer one?.............andyd   

5 hours ago, Andydodge said:

yes Andy the chrome one is the one that was on my car but if you check the numbers they are for a 50 wayfarer.  Gary

The 39 coupe has the same rear fenders and tail lights as all the other 39 two and four doors.  The tail light shown for 86 dollars looks correct, as long as you have the lens, and the little reflector.  The tail lights mount to the fender, not on a pod.

brian b

Gary,

I haven't dealt with them yet, but Moores salvage yard in South  Dakota  (605-348-4926) had several 39's listed.   Years ago I got one for my coupe at the Butler Pennsylvania parts-a-rama. A seller had it sitting in a glass topped case with a bunch of other stuff.  Wanted ten bucks for it, perfect condition.  Trouble was, I wasn't sure if it was for my car.  The seller informed me in a nasty tone that I should know what parts go to my car. Hmmmm.  I risked the ten bucks,  and couldn't wait to get home.  Yep, it was the right part.  Sure didn't pay ten bucks for the other one, when I found it.

Tail lights shouldn't be too tough to find, keep checking evil bay.  Front end stuff like headlight rings, seem much harder to come by.  I guess as years go by, more cars got hit in the front than rear.   

brian b

Here's one I had on hand.  Its a "special", no side trim or horn ring, but it did come with heater, defroster and radio.  A Pennsylvania hot rod, the heater works and so do the wipers,  both needed with the weather we have been having.  Running a 67  330 horse 440, stock except for an old holley 750.  727 torqueflite  and an 8 3/4 posi rear out of a 68 charger.  I've owned it since the early 80's, it was an old hotrod when I bought it.  Stock suspension,  Master Power Brake discs on the front, 11 inch drums on the back.  Much original 39 stuff, especially the interior.  The little bit of yellow between the door and front fender is the remains of a flame paint job it once wore.  The car is my psychiatrists couch;  all I need is to take a ride and my troubles go away.

best regards,

brian b

DSCN1732.JPG

• Like 1

Gary: Are you looki8ng for the taillight buckets or just the lens and outer trim for the taillights.  The tillight chrome piece tht you had linked to is the correct one for your 39 Dodge.  The Ply, Dodge Chrysler and Desoto all had different bucket styles so they are NOT interchangeable.  It is strange that the buckets have been so hard to find becasue they made more Dodges then Desotos and I find the desoto buckets on ebay. Also check you parts book to make sure that there isa not a right and left tail light bucket and also lens and housing. Onmy 39 desoto there are right and left tail light lens, buckets and trim. so it is even harder for me to get the correct parts since they only made around 35000 39 desoto's

I just looked in my 39 Dodge parts book and the right and left taillight assemblies are the same  part number 691752.  the body or bucket is part number  695909. the trim is also called in the parts book a door and this is part number 691755, lens are part number  672532

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

484-431-8157  cell

• Thanks 1

OK Rich what I have are 2 chrome bezels they are marked  Dodak  CB 17293 LH  on one and the other is Dodak CB 1729? RH  the last number is gone. I have the buckets for them they are ok I checked and it says they are for a 50 dodge wayfarer and I want to have the correct ones for the car. The pics I just posted  are the ones I got the numbers from.28701248_1581246495257061_1774017847137971906_o.jpg.cd2c31e804e412a1938f17da17300507.jpg   Gary 

Edited by garyp
Add more info

This last photo shows the reflector at the bottom of the light.  The 39 Dodges shown on the internet have the reflector at the top of the light, in fenders that have an extreme slope. Turn the modern lights upside down and set them in the 39 Dodge fenders, and the reflectors would  point to the sky.  Not quite right. 

2 hours ago, garyp said:

OK Rich what I have are 2 chrome bezels they are marked  Dodak  CB 17293 LH  on one and the other is Dodak CB 1729? RH  the last number is gone. I have the buckets for them they are ok I checked and it says they are for a 50 dodge wayfarer and I want to have the correct ones for the car. The pics I just posted  are the ones I got the numbers from.28701248_1581246495257061_1774017847137971906_o.jpg.cd2c31e804e412a1938f17da17300507.jpg   Gary 

Gary the taillight that you are showing me are not correct. If the buckets on these lights fit in the open in your fender opening then someone might have cut the opening inthe hosuing to be bigger to accept these taillights.  The 39 Dodge  are a tight fit just link the metal door that you have the link to the other post. Also there is an inner bucket or reinforcment that bolts to the back of the bucket to hold it against the inner fender this is what hold the entire unit on the fender.  Can you also take a picture of the opening onthe fender so I can tell if they have been cut or not.

call me tonight if you want to dicsuss this issue.

rich Hartung  cell 484-431-8157

Gary,

I looked at my 39 dodge taillights.  The bucket looks to  be spot welded to  the fender, I didn't see any bolts or brackets.  There is a slight peeled away lip on the bottom that the wiring goes through.  The  chrome bezel fits over a lip on top, and one screw on the bottom holds it in place.  Taillights are centered on the fender crease, about five-six inches up from the bottom,  high enough to be over the back bumper.  Both sides look the same.

I can try to get pictures if you think it will help.  I realize a 79 year old car could have anything changed over the years,  but my taillights don't look to have been changed or modified.  If anyone else has a 39, would like to hear description or pictures to compare.  If the buckets are welded to the fenders, this could be why they aren't common.  

brian b

• Thanks 1