what engine rebuild kit to use

homer41

I know this has most likely been beat to death!  I have tried a search with not much success, any certain words to search for?  I have seen Egge, Kanter and Clegg, any other I should or should not look at? Any help would be appreciated.  By the way, 1953 P-24 Plymouth 318 stock rebuild to go in my 41.  Dave

To be honest, me being on the cheap, I have taken the last couple of years to buy pistons, rings, bearings, and etc. off of eBay.  When timed right, I have found complete piston sets with rings as low as $35 shipped.  Unfortunately, I don't have any "spares" to offer.  But if in a hurry, try pricing with Vintage Power Wagons first....  Then source everything out with everyone else.  Rock Auto used to be good, but I have noticed price increases as of late, and not as many parts left to be purchased. I suppose that the well maybe drying up, so to speak.  Try Summit Racing too...  Let your fingers do the walking to save a couple of bucks here and there...

Dave I had a guy in Sterling that does a lot of engine rebuilds do mine.  Grand total for everything was a little under $1500. He charges his cost for the parts that he gets wholesale.  New everything inside. Took 2 weeks.  He also works on the platforms so he's home 2 weeks and then at work for 2 weeks.  If you want his number let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casper50 said:

Dave I had a guy in Sterling that does a lot of engine rebuilds do mine.  Grand total for everything was a little under $1500. He charges his cost for the parts that he gets wholesale.  New everything inside. Took 2 weeks.  He also works on the platforms so he's home 2 weeks and then at work for 2 weeks.  If you want his number let me know.

That guy is giving one hell of a deal including parts.  Does he use a torque plate? 

I have been tackling the issue of parts for the last couple of weeks for my 230 build. My machinist is fine with me sourcing parts. He was upfront with me to the fact that when they source the parts, they usually do a 30% mark-up. I started with VPW and worked my way through the suppliers on line. VPW seemed to be the most expensive. I found Egge to have the cheapest prices. ( Terrell machine was comparable). I went to Oldmopar for water tube, engine mounts and welsh plugs. Prices vary with individual parts, so you don’t have to order the “kit”. You can pick and choose parts and then order cheaper individual parts from somewhere else.  Be sure to ask if the part is in stock, which will delay your order being shipped. I believe these shops reach out to other suppliers to complete their kits and they don’t always have the parts in hand.Of course, the more individual orders you have, the higher your shipping cost. A few things to think about.

A little update on parts suppliers. Made a purchase order from Egge about 3 weeks ago. They were still waiting on valves and guides. Apperently they get them from Kanter and it would be another week. Frustrated, I called Terrill Machine. He has everything for our flatheads in stock and shipped that day... and it’s cheaper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom'sB2B said:

A little update on parts suppliers. Made a purchase order from Egge about 3 weeks ago. They were still waiting on valves and guides. Apperently they get them from Kanter and it would be another week. Frustrated, I called Terrill Machine. He has everything for our flatheads in stock and shipped that day... and it’s cheaper. 

Tom,

Does Terrell or Terrell have a catalog on line ?  I've tried google with no luck.

48 minutes ago, Reg Evans said:

Tom,

Does Terrell or Terrell have a catalog on line ?  I've tried google with no luck.

I had the same problem when I purchased my kit , couldnt find Terrill any place doing an internet search that was when I went with EGGE 

Reg.

I don’t think he has much of an online presence. I couldn’t find much besides an address and phone number.

Feltz Terrill

Terrill Machine

De Leon TX

254-893-2610

He was easy talk with and is very knowledgeable.

Give him a call.

• Thanks 1