Plymouth P28 with Holley

kencombs

I have a P28 engine that I intend to rebuild to replace my 55 PU flathead.  the P28 has a Holley carb, a 1904 I think.  That carb was available with a glass float bowl, and I have a couple stashed away and would like to use the carb and bowl.  I can find very little info on the Holley/flathead combo

Any experience here?

I may even do two of them since I have some extras from Fords of that era.  Just never encountered on a Mopar back when I was doing a lot of mechanical work

I do know they were prone to bowl leads due to overtightened mounting screws, but that an be avoided.

37 minutes ago, kencombs said:

I have a P28 engine that I intend to rebuild to replace my 55 PU flathead.  the P28 has a Holley carb, a 1904 I think.  That carb was available with a glass float bowl, and I have a couple stashed away and would like to use the carb and bowl.  I can find very little info on the Holley/flathead combo

Any experience here?

I may even do two of them since I have some extras from Fords of that era.  Just never encountered on a Mopar back when I was doing a lot of mechanical work

I do know they were prone to bowl leads due to overtightened mounting screws, but that an be avoided.

I  don't know if this helps you or not,but they were also used on 215 and 223 cube 6 cylinder Fords from 1952 to the early 60's.

BTW,got a spare float bowl you would care to sell? I have one with a chipped bowl.

Edited by knuckleharley

I wanna see a picture of it...  Glass bowl sounds neat.  I may have seen one before, but I never have put my hands on one.

1 hour ago, classiccarjack said:

I wanna see a picture of it...  Glass bowl sounds neat.  I may have seen one before, but I never have put my hands on one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-1904-Glass-Bowl-1-Barrel-Carburetor-1960-61-Falcon-Comet/162939416187?epid=1583461570&hash=item25eff22e7b:g:hbIAAOSwGbhapCxH&vxp=mtr

Most of the 1904's had the regular cast pot metal bowls,but a lot of them had glass bowls. Especially/maybe only the ones used on Fords.

Edited by knuckleharley

14 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-1904-Glass-Bowl-1-Barrel-Carburetor-1960-61-Falcon-Comet/162939416187?epid=1583461570&hash=item25eff22e7b:g:hbIAAOSwGbhapCxH&vxp=mtr

Most of the 1904's had the regular cast pot metal bowls,but a lot of them had glass bowls. Especially/maybe only the ones used on Fords.

Dads 54 R series IH has one of those glass float bowl carbs. Not sure if it's original but it is neat to see. 

52 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Dads 54 R series IH has one of those glass float bowl carbs. Not sure if it's original but it is neat to see. 

Yup. Holley sold them to anybody that wanted to buy them,but I think most went on 6 cylinder OHV Fords. Pretty good carbs,plus it's a kick to see the gas flowing through the float bowl. Only real downside is they are getting pricey now,but isn't everything?