1950 Distributor on a 1948 P15

MarkB2PW

Thanks Dozerman51.  I picked up the distributor parts today but I've been preoccupied with the '50 power wagon.  $%^&*( Brake Issues... still!). 

On 3/19/2018 at 6:14 PM, Dozerman51 said:

The best factory Distributor to put in a 23” motor would be the 1957-59 Plymouth and Dodge Autolite IBR-4001. This would have the best advance curves of them all I believe. Installed one in the 230 when I had that motor in my WC-12. You felt the extra “Pop” when you were giving the Flathead the old “Gasollo”.LOL. 

When you speak of "the best advance curves", are you talking about mechanical or vacuum advance? If mechanical, I would think you should be able to use the weights and springs of the later model distributor. If vacuum then that may take a little more work adapting the advance module from one to the other. Does anyone have more insight on this thought?

I think the difference might amount to 4 or 5 degrees across the group,so how much difference that makes between set up A, and set up D is pretty much academic.  If you can find a place that still has an old Sun dist machine, the thing to look at is how well a given distributor compares to its original advance specs rather than to find one with the largest curve or highest degree of advance.  The other part of the equation is where you live, what fuel you use, what mods you have done and what fuel you use.  This is why a few folks here recommend using a vacuum gauge for setting timing,as it reflects what your engine is doing considering the variables of where it exists what its internal condition is and what it is being fed.  For example when the factory decided the initial timing should be top dead center, the fuel from those days is long gone and the stuff we use today has different volatility, different evaporation rates, different chemical make up,different flame front, etc.  Vacuum timing will take those factors into consideration.  That will likely have more effect on how your engine runs than one or two degrees difference somewhere along the curve.

• Like 1

I got the distributor back in, new points, plugs, condenser, cap, rotor.  Fired it up and it ran like new!  Thanks for the help.

So I changed the oil & filter.  Something about the smell of 20 (30?) year old oil that makes my day. I'm moving on to the brakes.  I need help again.  Maybe that should be in a new topic?