1950 Distributor on a 1948 P15

MarkB2PW

I got a 1948 P15 Business Coupe a couple of months ago from an estate sale.

The family could not remember if it had ever run and had been sitting there "forever".

The engine turns over OK, but I got no spark at the plugs.  I checked the coil and it tested Ok.  I got spark at the points.

I took my points, condenser, cap and rotor to the parts store and the replacement parts they showed me did not match what I took off the car.  So the clerk started digging and found pictures of ones that did match.  The ones that match were form 1950 Plymouth.

So, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if this is a 1950-60 distributor on a 1948 p15.  I'm attaching a picture of the data plate on the distributor, hoping it will help.

1948 P15 Deluxe

Serial # 206012368

Engine # p15684028

Body # 513LA A 2830

Serial Number.jpg

Distributor.jpg

The distributor number that you use to order parts is IAT 4011  . It was used in 1951 Plymouth cars .  Here are Auto-Lite part numbers ;  cap IAT - 1033  ,  rotor IAU- 1016A   ,  contact set ( points ) IGW- 3028BS ,   condenser IAT-3076RA  . I buy my NOS Auto-Lite parts on ebay for the quality . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jerry I appreciate the help.

One more thing, I was looking at this table of serial numbers and trying to figure out where this was made.

Am I reading it wrong?  My Serial # 206012368 doesn't seem to fall in this list.

serial numbers.jpg

I am running a 54 dodge pick up dist in my 46 in the 56 Plymouth engine.  In the trunk is a 52 Plymouth dist that I carry for back up in the trunk.  The 56 dist sits on the parts shelf ready to drop in also.  Non of these diets share points, rotors, or caps, but the are drop in replacements for 218 230 short blocks.  As noted, later modules featured quicker advance curves to account for better gas and higher compression but I doubt you would notice any difference in over the road performance.

P

1 hour ago, Phil Martin said:

My 50 dodge has a 51 dist the points work opposite  from 50 dist.

Here's a pic of the distributor.  Is it possible to tell what year(s) this is from the direction?  And does it matter for operation?

Dist Direction.jpg

Direction?  The rotation has to be the same, as determined by the camshaft.  The difference within the distributor may be in the arrangement of the points, such as the direction they "face", or their position in the case.  The vacuum advance diaphragm could near the usual 11:00 or at 5:00, depending on how the distributor is installed.  Plug wire no. 1 could be at the usual 7:00, or at 1:00, as the distributor is installed.   

22 minutes ago, MarkB2PW said:

Hi Reg

I'm in the hills just north of El Dorado Hills

I bought a car just like that about 25 years ago from a guy in Nevada City.  Turned out that the guy that sold it to me didn't own it and I had to return it.  Same color and style.  I think the head was off of it.  Maybe it's the same one.

Nah, this was legit.  It had a title. The car also had some work orders from work done in the 70's in the trunk.  Looks like I may be the third owner.  I bought it from the daughter of an old fella that passed away. 

4 hours ago, MarkB2PW said:

Mark ,  My Auto Lite catalog goes through 1951 . Is there a model number on the side of your distributor ? I might be able to identify the year for you , 

Here's a pic of the distributor.  Is it possible to tell what year(s) this is from the direction?  And does it matter for operation?

Dist Direction.jpg

1 hour ago, Jerry Roberts said:

Mark ,  My Auto Lite catalog goes through 1951 . Is there a model number on the side of your distributor ? I might be able to identify the year for you , 

Does this data plate give you the info Jerry?  I don't see any other markings on the body of the distributor.

5ab03c8d2a67e_DistributorDataPlate.jpg.9859a15c4c3ac001d8490e1f19d7ba5b.jpg

You seem to have a screw loose/missing...:)

Inked5aafdff613134_DistDirection.jpg.7a02e30424e3c2f4d9c3436433a10c13_LI.jpg.10efbc3d0213d6ee3f66419bf5a07e96.jpg

• Like 1

The best factory Distributor to put in a 23” motor would be the 1957-59 Plymouth and Dodge Autolite IBR-4001. This would have the best advance curves of them all I believe. Installed one in the 230 when I had that motor in my WC-12. You felt the extra “Pop” when you were giving the Flathead the old “Gasollo”.LOL. 

LOL

The wire was so badly frayed I took it off.  I'll be replacing it before I put the distributor back in of course.

I'm a rookie at this so I don't know it's function (ground, etc..), but it needed replacing.  The other end of the wire goes to the adjacent hole on the left.